Thread: What is best way to sync to videos.

Default What is best way to sync to videos.

(Sorry - the title should say 'What is best way to sync TWO videos')
    Hi,
    I am making some guitar tutorials and i am thinking of using two camcorders.
    One for a wide shot of me with the guitar, and one for a close up of the left hand as it holds down different chords.
    I am wondering how easy or difficult it will be to try and sync the two videos together as i wish to use 'track motion' to show the close up video in the top corner of the screen.

Are there are techniques or suggestions that anybody has, on how to sync the two videos together.

I hope that i have explained things OK.

Thanks,
    Matt.
    Six Strings Guitar School > Home

One way would be to find a common sound on both sound tracks and line them up visually in the sound tracks in your video editor, it can be done reasonably easily in apps like Adobe Premiere and such. By visually I mean, a spike or peak can be seen in both audio tracks, it might take a bit of moving back and forth but it can be done. By track motion don't you mean Picture in Picture? Apologies for any spelling mistakes as I'm getting used to a new keyboard.

Blog Entries

Hi Matt,

This is a doddle - just make sure you record sound on BOTH camera as you use the sound peaks to ensure synchronisation.

For each take, set the cameras rolling and clearly record something along the lines of "Scene 7, take 1, 5,4,3,2,1" then a very short hi peak sound (a sharp clap of your hands will do it) then get on with the action.

ALTERNATIVE

I prefer the sound method above as the audio peaks track allows you to check sync throughout the scene but sometimes this is not possible (the sources might be too far apart for the sound to be recorded properly or you might be recording where a loud sound may not be appreciated)

The other solution is to use a camera flash at the start of each take. This is pretty instantaneous and easily identified for syning up takes.

Good luck.
    Tim

Let's go the whole nine yards where you could make or purchase a clapper board, don't know if they are still on sale but I'm sure a quick search on Google would answer that question.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Let's go the whole nine yards where you could make or purchase a clapper board, don't know if they are still on sale but I'm sure a quick search on Google would answer that question.
    Fair call, but the writing on the clapperboard would only be read on one camera and so an audio cue is still required
    Tim