Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD Burning

Default DVD Burning

Hi

I have Pinnacle 8 and have captured video from my video cam, edited it, created 5 chapters and a menu pointing to the chapters. I have been reading the posts in this section and see that it is not a good idea to try burning a DVD direct from Pinnacle. (I already tried this and ended up with a DVD that wouldn't play in anything).
    It's been advised to create an Mpeg file and then burn it using Nero (which I also have).

Forgive my stupidity, but if I created an Mpeg file with Pinnacle and then burn with Nero will the menu still work?

Thanks

Alan

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

No, MPEG files don't have any place to hold chapter and menu info. That usually goes into the project or .ifo/.bup files. Nero wouldn't know what to do with the project info. It has it's own templates and extra features. You'd have to recreate the chapters and menus with Nero's NeroVision Express and then let it create the .vob, .ifo and .bup files.

If your Pinnacle will make an 'image' copy of all the project's DVD files (.vob, .ifo and .bup suffixes) on your hard drive instead of trying to burn it, that gives you a chance to test everything. PowerDVD and Nero's Showtime will play from a hard drive source. Then if it works ok, you can use Nero to burn the files to the DVD. Make sure the file system is set to UDF V 1.02 and not Joliet or ISO9660.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Thanks

Burnt the DVD with Nero. Works perfectly.

Alan

Blog Entries

Another own goal for Pinnacle.

I know I am asking a few questions in a few different threads. I just want to be sure I make a good try at this stuff.

I just got Pinnacle 9. I also have Nero on my machine. From this thread, I gather it is best to capture and edit the video in Pannacle and then burn it in Nero.

What I am less sure about is the reference to the menus being incompatible. If you save the project in Pinnacle as a DVD-equivalent to the hard drive and then burn it with Nero, is it still necessary to set up the menus in Nero too?

(I am sure my question must demonstrate how low my level of understanding is at this point. I have bought DVD+RW disks so that I can experiment and see what works first without creating a lot of coasters!)

Studio8 was the buggy version and Pinnacle got hammered by disgruntled users.

But Studio9 seems to have ironed out the snags. I tried it out a few times, and it rendered, compiled and burned DVDs pretty fast, and with no problems.

I suggest you try burning your DVD direct – you’ve nothing to lose, and it could save you a lot of time. Those posts were quite old.

Thanks.

I second that wholeheartedly as I have had no problems when I upgraded to Version 9. Burn DVD's directly with ease and no hickups.

Just be patient with the rendering.

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    2 Seagate ATA 160 Gig HD,1 Maxtor 120 Gig HD
    Sony DRU-510 DVD/CD Burner
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    Pinnacle 10 PlusMediaSuite
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite
    Sony HVR-A1U 1080i HDV Camcorder

Thanks, Scooter. When you say "be patient," what do you mean? Are there sometimes shortcuts people might take that foul up the process?

jjm:

When I say be patient, in another thread on this board I mentioned that it depends on many factors as to how long rendering takes. I believe, and the experts on this site can correct me, is that the processor speed and memory that your computer holds along with the length of video you are trying to produce has a factor in how long rendering takes. It can take several hours to several minutes. Just leave it to do its job.

I also made a comment that I turn ALL other applications off when I am in rendering stage as I do not want anything else running in the background. This could only cause headaches or glitches in the process. This is just my opinion and what I do. I learnt the hard way when I was multitasking one day and rendering at the same time. It hung on me several times until I realized that I just need to back off doing other projects.

I hope that helps some and again let the more experienced people on this forum have input.

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    2 Seagate ATA 160 Gig HD,1 Maxtor 120 Gig HD
    Sony DRU-510 DVD/CD Burner
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    Pinnacle 10 PlusMediaSuite
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite
    Sony HVR-A1U 1080i HDV Camcorder