Thread: Which camcorder?

Question Which camcorder?

Hi there everyone i dont know if this is the right place to post this so sorry if its in the wrong place,

anyway im looking for a video camera for under 200 i have been looking in argos and theres a few under 200 theres a sony hc27 and a hc37 also a canon md101 now the thing is i dont understand this mini-dv i have owned a cheap digital camcorder but it took a sd card and when i plugged it into my pc it came up with all the videos as .mp4 files which was pretty simple. I know mini-dv is a tape but is it the same? can you just plug it in and it will be a removable drive with .mpeg or .mp4 video files inside? im sorry if this seems realy dumb! heh i know alot about encoding files est but i dont get how these work someone help!

Sidcup, Kent

To get the footage from a mini dv tape to your pc you use the firewire connection on the camcorder to connect to your pc usually a 4 pin at the camera end to 6 pin connector at the pc end. You will need a firewire card in your pc if you don't already have one. they can be bought cheaply in you don't for around 10.

Then use the video editing software of your choice to capture whats on the tape. It will upload uncompressed dv-avi files that come in at about 13Gb for an hours footage. so make sure you have plenty of hard drive space too!

Once the footage is on your hard drive you can edit it however you chose.