Thread: CAD in AE

Default CAD in AE

This may be a bit of a long shot, but hopefully.

Does anyone know of a plugin that allows 3D CAD files to be imported in to After Effects? Preferably .dwg or .dxf

I've been looking at zaxwerks 3d invigorator pro that says it can import models from other 3d programs. I can't seems to find what other programs are supported and there's no mention of CAD so probably not.

Any info would be highly apreciated.

Hey David - that is a long shot. Adobe will tell you all day long that After Effects is not made for 3D compositing. ("After Effects 3D functionality is limited to the manipulation of two-dimensional layers in three dimensions. Photoshop, however, can manipulate complete 3D models in 3DS and U3D formats, and output two-dimensional composites and cross-sections of these 3D models from any angle.") There are some ways to get around that, and a lot of people use tricks to simulate 3D, and there are plugins made to assist. After Effects is very limited to the types of 3D files it can import, and I'm almost positive that they cannot be altered in true 3D. Obviously, people find ways around this - it's pretty complicated, and I'm thinking a few google searches will tell you more than I could. Hope this helps, and let us know if you find anything useful!