Thread: VHS movies On DVD

Default VHS movies On DVD

Hello,
    1- plz tell me which capture card is best for DVD recording from VCR movies..
    & also tell me how to i record 4 hr movie on 1 DVD..

2- How to burn 8.5GB DVD data on 4.7GB DVD..

Best Regards...

1) you could use either a breakout box or an ATI all in wonder ( All in wonder is "ok" thats what I have currently as soon as I can afford a black magic I will get it)

2) compress it from dvd9 to dvd5 but decreasing the bitrate
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

1) Instead of relying on pot luck with capture cards, if you have a Mini DV camcorder with an AV in socket and DV out then that's all you need. The camcorder acts as an analogue to digital convertor and it's a lot less hassle than most capture cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    1) Instead of relying on pot luck with capture cards, if you have a Mini DV camcorder with an AV in socket and DV out then that's all you need. The camcorder acts as an analogue to digital convertor and it's a lot less hassle than most capture cards.
    Its also added wear and tear on your camara. You would be better off with a break out box
    Wil

Software Used:

Wear and tear on the camcorder? No tapes are inserted into the camcorder, you put your VHS tape into the VCR, connect the VCR to the camcorder using AV connections and then plug the Firewire cable into the Firewire socket on the computer. In the menu settings in the camcorder, set AV to in and DV to out, your just running pictures and sound through the digital camcorder. Analogue in one end and digital out the other end. I've done it 101 times this year and it didn't do anything to the camcorder.

Correct, but you do need to power the camara don't you? You can do it with a camcorder but "I" prefer the $100 breakout box to the $1500+ camara.
    Wil

Software Used:

If you've found a breakout box that works for you I'm really happy for you. Not everyone has had the same success with these devices and most can only capture video and you have to run the audio through the sound card which can also cause sync problems. I'd like to know what this wear and tear is you are talking about, can you quantify it? because I haven't experienced it or read anything about it on this forum (have I missed those threads?), but I've read a lot about other forms of capture setups and they are not good.

And another thing how come you're a super moderator and you've only been on this forum since 2006?

Just having it on I would think would cause some wear and tear and if you have a lot of vhs tapes would take a lot of time. Electronics go out. As far as capture cards all I do is hook up the left and right audio rca's and the s-video same with my old breakout box.

A super moderator is a moderator that can moderate all sub-forums. Hope that helps define Super Moderator.
    Last edited by Chapman Photography; 09-30-2007 at 05:09 AM.
    Wil

Software Used: