Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorize Black & White Movies....!!!!!

Default Colorize Black & White Movies....!!!!!

Dose anyone know how to Colorize Black & White Movies....???

Is there any tutorial...??

Any software....??

Do you know the phone number for Industrial Lights and Magic? This was a popular topic a few years ago about colourising old black and white movies but its interest didn't last long. Depending on how long your movies were and the computer setup you had it would take a long time to colour in every single frame. And not only that, complex calculations would have to be run to convert every grayscale pixel value to an RGB value.

I don't know the phone number for Industrial Lights and Magic.

I have some old films which are home videos. I wanted to colorize them by myself. So, I like to know .... which softwares do I need for it .... & .... any guideline or tutorial ....???

Typing with a bigger font won't get help faster! First off I dout you have a fast enough computer or the money for the software, I could be wrong you could be very, very well off, but I dout it. So you could bring each frame in to photoshop and color each frame, theres only 25 (pal) or 29.97(ntsc) per second of video. I hope you have a lot of time on your hands, The thing is, colorizing B&W is very time intensive, You could also try After Effects its abou $900.00.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

How can I get out those frames from video file?

Is there any software that do this kind of job?

Are these frames like some kind of snap shot type picture?

How can I join them later?

Maybe I sound stupid to you, but I am just a beginer working with video editing . I hope I will get some help from you.

Most video software has an option to export single frames from a video clip, and some (if your lucky) have an 'export image sequence' option, which can save a lot of time!

Basicaly the easiest method (if you don't want to buy some expensive software) is as Chapman said to export each frame from from the video into a still image (JPEG?) open it up in photoshop or any other photoediting software of choice, colour it in, then re-save it and import it back in to your video timeline in your video editing software.
    Taking a rough estimate of 10 mins per frame, that'll take you just over 4 hours for 1 second of footage (in PAL).

As a rough example, this clip took me 2 solid weeks back in my college days (and gave me RSI in my mouse hand, and a dodgy back). I wasn't using colour, but i was tracing the outlines of the people instead.

http://www.moshproductions.com/video..._Scene%201.swf

For a slighty easier option you could opt for buying software such as 'After Effects' or 'Motion', that could rotoscope coloured shapes to composite under your video.

Thanks a lot MOSH....!!!

Just one more question ...

Which video software has this 'export image sequence' option ? And does it also have a JPEG save option ... or ....?

PS. I just seen your clip, its very nice..

You said you are a beginner but this is def not a beginner task you are attempting to undertake here so be warned.

Genrally speaking, I would tend to argue that if someone does not even know where to begin with a task then it should be considered above them right now and they should get their head in a series of books for a few weeks and get some clues on workflow that way.

But....

I would first ask if you have the know-how to go about colourising a still frame in soem image editting s/w. That is your first step. If not then that 'essay' is far too vast to begin here in these forums so get a good book on image restorations or soemthign and find and pract6ice the techniques involved.

once you know how to do that then find some video editting s/w that will allow you to export a video clip as a series of stills. Personally I would not recommend a lossy format like Jpeg myself becauise the final clip whenpieced back together again would look trash. I know Adobe Premiere Pro has this capability but can not be considered cheap and cheerful so check your budget. Checks specs of sa/w packages at manufacterers web sites.

Either way though that's not how I would do it. being a big fan of Aftre effects (even less cheap than Premiere pro though) I would do it in that because you can apply an effect once and will only need to 'move' the mask for each frame at most then. Often you can get away with keyframing your mask every half dozen frames and whethe package interpolates between them then it will generally be close enough to a perfect fit to be ok.

Thanks Super Moderator.

Yes I know to color B & W image. Let me summarize what I have understood...

STEP 1 : Find a video editing software which makes video film into still images. Could you please name any of these software...
    Which image format is best for this kind of work?

STEP 2 : Use Photoshop for filtering the image such as image noise reduction or something like that.
    Then coloring .... saving [is there any specific image format] ... or ...?

STEP 3 : Use After Effects or Motion to setup colored stills in time line ... or...

STEP 4 : What to do now? Saving or Compressing or Converting the video or what?

Guys, I wish I would be expert like you all, please help me to understand the fundamental steps of the work.

I would take Alan's advice and start small, learn the basics first. Find the software you like by using the trials for adobe premiere pro or sony vegas ec.. After you decide get some books on the software and study. Your asking a lot since you don't know and thats fine but to walk you though the whole process would be a book in itself. We can't "tell" you what software to use thats up to you. As far as what to save the the stills as, it depends on what software you get most can use PNG (Portable Network Graphics) or TIFF (Tagged Image File Format).
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast