Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Velocity envelopes...

1. Question Velocity envelopes...

Is there any way of applying one long velocity envelope to a whole bunch of consecutive video events in the same video track, as opposed to only being able to apply one velocity envelope per video event? I have a sequence whereby the footage is played at normal speed, then I'd like to ramp down to 50% of the original speed across a whole bunch of consecutive video events within the same video track.

MS.
    Last edited by Marcus Schmuck; 09-25-2007 at 05:14 AM.

2 word Marcus:

Nested Timelines

G

Hi,

This is a screencast I did a while ago

Adding a Velocity Envelope in Vegas.

To add the Velocity envelope to all media on one track highlight the track go to 'Edit' - 'Select' - 'Select All' then go to 'Insert' - 'Video Envelopes' - 'Event Velocity'.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by gord; 09-25-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Might I be so bold as to share these 3 points with you Gordon:

1/- Naming Convention: They are called POINTS not handles. Hence "ADD point"; "Reset ALL points" - I just did a search for "handles" within the Online Help, couldn't find one relating to this type of activity.

2/- Solution: Marcus wants to add them to a series of Events: "Is there any way of applying one long velocity envelope to a whole bunch of consecutive video events in the same video track, "

3/- In Vegas?: In your "Tutorial" you added a velocity envelope to an Event, not the Timeline. If you DO know how to add VeloEnvel/s to the Timeline, please tell me. In the meantime please read my solution.

Gordon, if you wish to fly your Tutorials past me, prior to posting, it would be a great pleasure to work "closer" with you on this. It is not that long ago I gave you pointers on another of your tutorials. Yes?

Best regards,

Grazie

Marcus, I hope you got near to an answer with this thread.
    Last edited by gord; 09-25-2007 at 05:19 PM.

Gordon you say: "To add the Velocity envelope to all media on one track highlight the track go to 'Edit' - 'Select' - 'Select All' then go to 'Insert' - 'Video Envelopes' - 'Event Velocity'. "

Certainly, but as I understand it this still is not the solution Marcus is after. Doing the "Select All" will give me 20 VeloEnvels on 20 Events, certainly - and if you want to do this fine. However, none of these envelopes will relate to each other.

From what I'm understanding from Marcus, he is asking for the following: "Is there any way of applying one long velocity envelope to a whole bunch of consecutive video events in the same video track, as opposed to only being able to apply one velocity envelope per video event? "

I think the clue is in the" . . as opposed to only being able to apply one velocity envelope per video event? " - yes?

So that is why I suggested using a nested option.

Regards

Grazie

Marcus,

A work around maybe as follows.

Let's say you have 20 clips on the same track and you want to set 10 at the same velocity. Set one event to the velocity level you want, then click on the event and select copy from 'File' or right click. Now select the other 9 events (hold Ctrl and select each event) then go to 'Edit' - 'Paste Event Attributes'.

If you try this Gordon, you will see that the overall, cumulative, collective length remains the same.

Meaning, a collection of 20 events, totalling say 10 minutes, and having a COPY and then Ctrl+Event+Event+ . . . and then Paste Attrib of, say a 50% ( slower playback) will still result in 10 minutes - it will not give 20 minutes. Again, I am guessing Marcus wants to e-x-t-e-n-d and keeping the existing events in their entirety, but slow down their playback speed by a factor of x2 = 50% slow down.

Sure, Paste Attributes will delivery a 50% playback, but the Event it will ALSO retain its initial TIME space on the Timeline.

Gordon, try it out.

Best regards

Grazie

Marcus,

Are we getting there with any of these suggestions?

Grazie is presuming you want to also extend the footage to last longer, is this so?

Gordon, I'm not presuming anything? Are you?

Here is the clue: "then I'd like to ramp down to 50% of the original speed across a whole bunch of consecutive video events within the same video track."

Again, the big clue here is the "whole bunch of consecutive video events" Marcus is making. Now, are you presuming he only wants to view a part of the "whole" bunch? That would be illogical? I don't read that? In any case, what "selective" part are you referring to - hmmm? If he wants to bring down the speed - 50% - then that would be to the whole bunch? If he did an application of VeloEnvel using the Paste Atrib and NOT extend the play time, he would, by implication of keeping the same length, be doing a reduction in the event palytime? I don't see that Marcus IS suggesting this in any way? On the contrary, it would appear he is very happy WITH the existing Events and only now wants to show them in TOTAL - but play time reduced by 50%. Now, if he wants to ramp the time down by 50%, he would in efect, be INCREASING their play time and their length on the timeline by twice their present amount.

I think if there is any assumption going here, Gordon, it is that you are thinking that he wants to have the events remain the same length. That was evident in the "solution" you posted. And, BTW, when Paste Attribute is used in this way, is the last 50% of the event that gets chopped off? Now there's a thought that Marcus might want to consider with Paste Attrib approach.

Grazie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast