Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laptop editor

Default laptop editor

i have been all around the houses looking at buying a laptop for video editing out of the home...and connected to mains
    after seeing all the specs and write ups in mags i can see my criteria may be the video editing chip..processor?
    i have gone from sub 500 to around 700 as a budget to get reasonable performance
    still undecided about an edit suite after reading more unencouraging words about ulead and pinnacle..
    firstly
    what should i be looking for in the way of graphics and suggestions about editing software appreciated..
    looks like i am stuck with vista as well as a OS

been on here before and glad of the help with my digicam..sony..which requires firewire to transfer to the laptop..

blessings
    mrcrow
    manchester

Just my way of going about looking for specs when I need a new PC or laptop is to go to a processor hungry editing software company (Avid being where I usually go - Avid Xpress Pro System Requirements) and have a look at their requirements and try to better these within my budget. There's perhaps better ways but always seem to work for me. Hope this helps

Someone else on another post elsewhere on the forum was complaining recently that their Sony camcorder didn't work with Vista. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Someone else on another post elsewhere on the forum was complaining recently that their Sony camcorder didn't work with Vista. Just thought I'd throw that in.
    does that mean the software capture didnt work or their pc/lt didnt have firewire..etc
    i thought the software did the work and if its vista compatible should run
    but thanks..another piece in the jigsaw..

Quote Originally Posted by shiner View Post
    Just my way of going about looking for specs when I need a new PC or laptop is to go to a processor hungry editing software company (Avid being where I usually go - Avid Xpress Pro System Requirements) and have a look at their requirements and try to better these within my budget. There's perhaps better ways but always seem to work for me. Hope this helps

will go that route to clear away any cobwebs and trip wires in my quest..

the best dedicated graphics i have seen so far..i think they are the best are the nvidia 8400 GT in a couple of laptops

but...but...

something struck me ...can one usb or firewire an external graphics module..if available to do the editing work onto a integrated graphics ...and cheaper laptop

thanks a lot for quick replies...

just as a matter of interest which avid product are you referring to..is it the 358 software...
    this may be out of my budget for just home movies..
    our present stuff was Hi-8 done on a panasonic edit deck with some music and voice over..really amateur and no fades or fancy movements...
    my wife would find similar software suitable hence my original stab at ulead studio 11 etc which is suitable...as they say...for vista

Hi Mrcrow, I wasn't advising you to get this Xpress Pro film and video editing for Mac and PC (It's actually around a 1000 I think), it's just that it requires a PC/laptop with top processing power to run it. If they can run this editing suite they can run most software comfortably. BTW, don't know if it is still available, but Avid used to have a free editing software available that only supports SD

Hi Mrcrow, I wasn't advising you to get this Xpress Pro film and video editing for Mac and PC (It's actually around a 1000 I think), it's just that it requires a PC/laptop with top processing power to run it. If they can run this editing suite they can run most software comfortably. BTW, don't know if it is still available, but Avid used to have a free editing software available that only supports SD
    check!! whew i thought i was getting into something really big..
    i understand now about the avid requirements..and i did use that link

the SD you quote is that the same as the canon etc secure disc format...for stills

SD is standard definition video, HD being high definition video

SD is standard definition video, HD being high definition video
    thanks

i am looking at adobe photoshop elements 3.0 now as a recommended software product

they say it will work with vista 32 bit...is that what vista is..

the requirements state a microsoft directX 9 compatible sound and display driver
    is this related to graphics

cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast