Thread: Vegas 6...text editing question

Default Vegas 6...text editing question

Hi, I'm new here, and I've really been getting into editing my own stuff with Vegas 6. The one thing I want to do that I just can't figure out is adding text to a screen like titles, subtitles, or captions. I can add text, but can only do it with a solid background, I want to add text that sits on top of the footage I have filmed. Anybody know how to do that with Vegas 6? Seems like it should be easy, but I just can't figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by spidervenom View Post
    Anybody know how to do that with Vegas 6? Seems like it should be easy, but I just can't figure it out.
    Yes, I do!

1 - Drag Video onto new Timeline

2 - Now Insert a "further" Video track - which will become Track 1

3 - On Track 1, move Timeline Cursor to where you want text to start

4 - Hold down Left Mouse button and drag open a Loop Region the time length you want - it will appear DARK grey on the timeline.

5 - Right on the Track 1 within the DARK grey Loop Region and select "Insert Text Media"

Done!

Grazie

Done

grazie, thanks A LOT for the help, and making it easy to understand, but being the moron that i am, i don't understand it completely.

here is my set-up:

track 1 is my video
    track 2 is my audio from the video
    track 3 is more audio i added.

i am not sure how to get a fourth track to interface with these tracks and if do the insert media text on the video track, it just shows the text with a black screen behind it. i want the actual footage playing with the words on top of it (as you know). any other advice?

how do i open a new blank track?

Right Click on your Track 1 and choose "Insert Video Track".

You need to place your TEXT on this topmost track - the NEW Track 1.

Grazie

i should be paypalling you some cash for this tech support! thanks for the help.

i followed your instructions and made the text track into "track 1." the video track is below it now and seems to work fine. the problem is: i can change the background into any color except clear/transparent/invisible. i am in the "properties" tab in the sony text media generator and do not see any options other than solid colors/hues (fyi: i am using "transparent text")

any idea why it still shows up as a solid color? how do i make it transparent so that the footage is playing in the background?

sorry i am not grasping what you are saying. there might be an obvious step i am overlooking.

i should be paypalling you some cash for this tech support! thanks for the help.
    Yes! Why don't you then . .

i followed your instructions and made the text track into "track 1." the video track is below it now and seems to work fine.
    . .. yes . . ? Why do I feel that there is a "Yes, but . . " coming along?

any idea why it still shows up as a solid color? how do i make it transparent so that the footage is playing in the background?
    What HAVE you done now? Deary me . . - The default for Sony Text IS a transparent background!!! I really need to see a series of screen grabs from you to ascertain exactly WHAT you've been up to. tish tish . .

sorry i am not grasping what you are saying. there might be an obvious step i am overlooking.
    Well you ARE understanding what I told you, as you say you have had success - video behind the text. I don't know why you are THEN saying you aren't grasping what I told you to do?

So, let's see those screen grabs - I'm taking a big risk here, but you do know how to do them and get them here? Yes?

Grazie
    Last edited by Grazie; 09-23-2007 at 07:26 AM. Reason: spilling and spacing

oh man it is SO easy. i am sorry man, i was using the "transparent text" instead of "default background" like a complete idiot. thanks for all the help grazie. i do appreciate it greatly.

haha yeah it's really easy to do

and now you go to event pan/drop to make some funny effects with the text zoom in or out and slide away and that things have fun with it !