Thread: Premiere Pro and camcorders

Default Premiere Pro and camcorders

I am in the process of purchasing a new lightweight camcorder and was set on a miniDV style(Sony HDR-HC7), but now I am having second thoughts. Will PP support all types of formats from HDD, CD to AVCHD. Any thoughts from the Pros?

From what I understand Adobe are lagging behind on support for AVCHD... It's due this autumn. Not surprisng, Sony Vagas supports it already. As does the latest release of Final Cut Pro.

From what I've read you'll still get better quality from HDV.

I'm hanging fire for another year before I go for a new cam simply because it's really too early to see how the market will mature IMO. I would like to see Panasonic do a prosumer P2 cam

Edit - or come to that a prosumer Sony XDCAM
    Last edited by MarkOneMusic; 09-20-2007 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fshngyd View Post
    Any thoughts from the Pros?
    I would love to offer my own personal insights and thoughts to this issue but, alas, I'm not a pro and my opinion is not sought.... :( Sigh, never mind.

Your advice would be great and I would appreciate it.

Why are you having second thoughts on Mini DV? This format and Adobe Premiere work very well together compared to other formats and the quality is very high.

From what I've read, seen, and experienced, miniDV is by far the best option to work with Premier Pro. I myself purchased a Song DCR-SR72, hard-drive camcorder, not knowing that Adobe's so-called native MPEG-2 editing was, to put it mildly, bunk.

However I am now happily married to a video converter which makes all my MPEG-2 clips into .avi, which Premier works best with.

Upshot: I spend a lot of money and time to get back to a place which I would have been at with my old miniDV camera anyways.

The only advantage I can see through buying a HD camcorder is that it has less moving parts than miniDV and so will last longer (my previous camcorder died a death when the recording head went bust after a couple of years and would have cost 200 to replace).

My advice: get miniDV.

Hard drive and Mini DVD camcorders are aimed at users who don't want to bother with editing, it's more point, shoot and playback; while Mini DV camcorders are aimed more at enthusiasts and users who want to edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Matirius View Post

However I am now happily married to a video converter which makes all my MPEG-2 clips into .avi, which Premier works best with.
    And which product would that be?