Thread: Help finding editor

Default Help finding editor

Does any 1 know a good editing program where i can draw and cut outimages and add them to a clip on the film. Like if I wanted to add the effect of fire coming out the end of a gun on a clip of film?

After Effects or Particle Illusion.

Erm particle illusion I think, I jus want to put a still image onto a moving image for 1 second.

If it's only going to be for 1 second, then a still image might do, but how realistic do you want it to be? You could create something in an image editor if you are artistically inclined but the idea of using PI might be better. There may also be websites where they are giving away free graphics or animated gun flashes try google to see if it throws up anything. You will still need either a video editor or as I said previously something like After Effects to overlay and perhaps animate the movement of the gun flash using keyframes.

I have Ulead videostudio 11 im just confused as how to put an image on, and I don't want to put a still immage in because it might not look smooth.

As long as the image is a standard format, then you just Import it into your video editor and then drag it onto a new video track or you may have to create a new track. This will place it above the video you already have on the timeline, you should then be able to click on the still image either in the preview window or you may have to select the track in the timeline and change its x and y co-ordinates until it lines up with the gun.

ok thx, but how do i get rid of the white behind the image if I put it in?

You have to create an alpha channel in your still image editor. I will mainly refer to Photoshop as you need the channels feature to do this. Basically an alpha channel is a transparent section of an image and is coloured black and the actual image part that you want everyone to see is coloured white. So in the channels feature in the layers palette you will have your composite image, Red channel, Green channel and Blue channel now you have to create a new channel called an alpha channel. You will find many tutorials on the likes of adobes website and others that will take you step by step through this process.

Sony Vegas (7 or 8 or 9)