Thread: Remove background without green/blue backdrop?!?

Question Remove background without green/blue backdrop?!?

Hi people I just need to know if I'm askin' for something crazy or if you can help me?

Basically I'm looking for a software where I can say take a picture, snapshot, still, whatever you want to call it, in any old room then continue the video footage with me in it; then with this magical software I'm trying to find out if it exists, it can differentiate between the pic before and the pic's (frames) with me in it (a 'spot the difference' if you like) then auto-magically remove the background leaving only me??? Does it exist??? Please let me know, any relevant comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Mr Ghostie.
    Last edited by mrghostie; 09-15-2007 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling error, Soz.

Quote Originally Posted by mrghostie View Post
    Hi people I just need to know if I'm askin' for something crazy or if you can help me?

Basically I'm looking for a software where I can say take a picture, snapshot, still, whatever you want to call it, in any old room then continue the video footage with me in it; then with this magical software I'm trying to find out if it exists, it can differentiate between the pic before and the pic's (frames) with me in it (a 'spot the difference' if you like) then auto-magically remove the background leaving only me??? Does it exist??? Please let me know, any relevant comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Mr Ghostie.

It would be easier with a still frame then video but it can be done with both, idealy you would want a grren screen (or blue). Since you said still I take your using a photo and want a moving back ground. the best way to do this would be Photoshop and the extraction tool, you simply draw an out line around the part you want to extract making sure to make a closed loop, then hit the "done" or "finnished" key (can't remember the correct tab at this point be its pretty clear when you see it) this will get it pretty close then just clean up the edges with the eraser tool, All in all it should take you 15mins when you get the hang of it. then export to the file of your choice.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Default thanks for replying

I'm sorry maybe I put accross the wrong idea here, my fault woz. What I meant was I'm trying to extract the background out of a movie not a still image - which in that case I would agree and photoshop would be my first choice too.

Where I think the confusion is here is when I meantioned the still. What I meant was if you had a pic of a room before you filmed, didn't move the camera then recored someone, I need a software to basically look at the pic of the room before, compare it with the video, and since the camera hasn't moved then do a sort of 'spot the difference' if you like, frame for frame, and see what's the same and what's different seeing the recorded person in the room as different and the room background as being the same, therefore removing the background and leaving the person in the clip. A bit like how green screen works but I don't have one of them so I was hoping to use the above method if possible.

Thanks again,

Mr Ghostie.

It can still be done, after effects would work best but it is time consuming and if you have never done it before it will taken even longer, photoshop can also do it but you will have to do it frame by frame so if you have 1 min of video you'll have about 1800 ntsc frames or 1500 pal frames for 1 min its a lot work. If you don't have a green screen all is not lost just use a green or blue bed sheet have your talen stand about 3 feet in front so they wont cast shadows and light the sheet evenly.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Thumbs up

ok thx I'll give it a go. Also if I am using a blue / green 'bedsheet' are there any particular programs you could reccommend for me to get?

Thanks again,

Mr Ghostie.

I agree with Wil, get yourself a blue or green bedsheet, kingsize if you can find one in your local department store. It's unlikely they will sell green sheets so you will probably have to do with blue. The sheet will work best if you intend having the talent in full shot but if it is a closer shot (medium shot or medium close up) then go to an arts supply shop and get a few sheets or either green or blue A2 or even A1 Daler Rowney mounting boards or paper and stick them together to make a larger blue or green 'screen'. The method you were describing earlier would take forever. Any of the current video editors will remove a blue or green background, try Adobe Premiere Elements or similar, or if you don't want to purchase new software then download a 30 day trial and see which one you like the best.

Thumbs up

okay, so I'm getting hold of this green tablecloth thing soon hopefully and I'll try and get the Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 Trial - the reason I thoguht about a green background is because I've heard that it's better than blue when working with people because of the skin tones or something? So anyway thanks guys you've been a great help to me! I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Mr ghostie.

I've used both green and blue, and see no difference in them. As long as they are well lit, have no creases and the talent is standing far enough in front so as not to cast a shadow then you should have no problems. If you are shooting indoors you may need some extra lighting to light the talent aswell, I'm now old enough to remember when 'talent' meant going out on a Saturday night to a nightclub and ahem... chatting up the 'talent'!

What you first mentioned does exist, it is possible, it's called a difference matte key.

You shoot your video (background only) and without moving the camera then as normal with your subject in too.

In your editor/effects application you export a single frame with the background only. Apply the difference matte key to the video with the subject in it and tell it to use your exported frame as a difference reference.

It does have its uses and is the ideal tool for many jobs, it's not as straightforward as it first seems and it's easier to get a clean key for straight background removal using blue or green screen as mentioned.

David.