Thread: Will Ulead or Pinnacle do this?

Default Will Ulead or Pinnacle do this?

Hello

I have read so many posts on both products I am totally confused.

If I explain what I what to do, could someone point me in the right direction.

I have a 4 year old JVC - DV camera (with DV output).
    I have an 8-year-old JVC - VCR with Yellow - White - Red connectors.

At the moment I do not have a FireWire card.

All I want is this;

I want to transfer all my family's VHS tapes going back 24 years and all my DV mini tapes on to DVD.

I want total control on the editing process.
    I do not want the software to automatically 'make a movie' for me.

I am not into lots of effects but I do want the transitions to look professional.

For example, control on the speed of a cross fades.

I would like professional looking text - and graphic overlays.

I have just brought a new graphics card (WinFast 360) with MYVIVO that has a S-Video connector – with this card was bundled a copy of Ulead VideoStudio 7 SE.

After pulling in a few small clips I already had on my PC - I played around with it. I wasn't totally impressed.

I want a decent editing suite. Will Pinnacle 9 fit the bill?

Or should I upgrade to Ulead VideoStudio 8 ?

Or what do you recommend?

One last point – as I said I haven’t got a FireWire card – what do think is the best card or the best way to get Analogue AND Digital into my PC for editing?

Thank you in advance.

Regards, Stephen

Well, I have no experience of Ulead's product, but last year I had months of heartache with Pinnacle Studio 8. I managed to burn a couple of projects on a low-end PC (with some hiccups), but graduating to a better machine brought nothing but failure. I won't go on about this for fear of libel, but have a look at Pinnacle's own user forums -- many cries of complaint are just ignored.

Do yourself a favour, use something like Premiere -- a different ball game altogether -- Studio can bring much grief because of its inconsistencies with different computers (this is putting it mildly). I think the PC magazines shamelessly plug Pinnacle Studio because they are big advertisers. It can work, but do you want to take the risk? I hope this is some help.

.....forgot to say: the graphic overlays you mention are not possible with Studio 8 -- and if dual layer video is possible with v.9 it's likely to be a compromise, ie probably not quite the professional effect you're after.

.....forgot to say: the graphic overlays you mention are not possible with Studio 8 -- and if dual layer video is possible with v.9 it's likely to be a compromise, ie probably not quite the professional effect you're after.