Thread: Premiere Pro 1.5 overburdened

Default Premiere Pro 1.5 overburdened

How can I correct this? I'm working on a video with a lot of single jpg frames in about 25 sequences that add up to 3 minutes of movie.

It's slowed Premiere Pro 1.5 to the point it's unworkable.

I have Intel Core Duo Processors 2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 256 MB of dedicated GDDR3 VRAM.

Would more VRAM work and/or would Premiere Pro CS3 work better with my existing computer?

Thank you

How much space is left on your hard disk? If it is near rock bottom, then try and delete old files, move files to an external hard drive or burn onto DVD and uninstall applications or games you haven't used in a long time. When was the last time you defragmented your hard disk? If you haven't done so in a while then do so now and do it more regularly when working with video. Perhaps a second internal hard disk might be a better solution if funds allow it. Try these ideas before spending hundreds on new software.

Thanks for your reply. Yesterday I realized my laptop could only hold the 2 GB of RAM it already had. I had thought it was upgradable to 4. Given that more RAM wasn't an option I looked at scratch disk size in Premiere-- 10 GB. I moved about 20 GB to an external harddrive and then defragmented my internal drive. Premiere became workable again with a 30 GB scratch disk.

Glad to hear that you got Premiere running again. Laptops generally speaking are a sealed box and have few upgrade options unless you get someone to build it for you. That's an interesting fact you provide in saying you need a 30GB scratch disk to get Premiere working, other laptop users take note. If your external hard disk has enough space, after you have completed your video projects, save the .avi file along with the project file (including DVD chapter marks) into a folder on the external hard disk. It will save you a lot of time in the future if you want to go back to a video and either re-edit it or run off more copies.

For my next computer I'm going to pay serious attention to whatever specifications are beneficial to video editing. Previously my main concern was that the computer performed well with 3d programs like 3d studio Max or ZBrush but video editing(which is new to me) presents other problems.

If you decide to upgrade in the future and you are in a computer store one day, then head over to where the desktop pc's are instead of looking at the laptops. You don't need to spend a vast fortune on a new desktop, depending on which version of Windows (I haven't used Mac's since I left college - so I can't comment on what spec they are today) you get you may need between one and two gigabytes of RAM to run the whole show. An Intel Pentium 4 processor with dual core running at least 2.4Ghz to 2.8Ghz, a mother board with an 800Mhz Front Side Bus, although I've started to see more 1066Mhz FSB's now but the 800Mhz will do fine. The largest hard disk you can afford running at 7200rpm, a DVD burner, a 19 inch widescreen monitor (fine for starting off your editing), it's debatable whether or not you need a graphics card or not, if the pc you purchase has one installed then smile at the nice salesperson and don't say a word. A few USB connections and Firewire connections will be verrrry useful.

Thanks for the information. I'll save this thread for future reference. I think a PC will be the way to go for my next computer(next 6 months or so). I'll keep my laptops for travel and portability but I'm seeing their limitations more and more.