Thread: can't burn to dvd - yet another newby

Default can't burn to dvd - yet another newby

Hi there,

I have finally taken the plunge and got myself a camcorder - sony dvd106E with picture motion browser software. I got it in order to record family events, interviews etc to share with the rest of the clan. Having filmed the old family home before it was sold, I am now unable to transfer the video to dvd. Here is the gist of the problem:

Loading software to laptop, no problem, loading film from dvd camcorder to laptop, no problem, transferring video from laptop to dvd disc - BIG problem.

The message on the software says that there is 'no drive'. (There is, I have watched dvd's on the drive that supposedly does not exist). I don't know how to change this error as I can find no help on the software.

I wondered if I was using the wrong size dvd disc and bought some more, still no luck (I have now tried both 12 and 8 cm discs). I'm hoping for a simple solution, all suggestions gratefully received, please help! Many thanks.

It was supposed to be a gift for my father's 75th birthday in July, but now I am hoping to give it to him for Christmas.
    Last edited by marple; 09-15-2007 at 01:11 PM.

Western Europe

Did you finalize the DVD before you took it out of the camcorder?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Did you finalize the DVD before you took it out of the camcorder?
    Yes, I followed the booklet instructions 'format before your record, finalise after', no editing was required, just straightforward copy discs for other family members.

The handbook did say that I needed to finalise before I could view it on a dvd player, I don't see anywhere that it says that doing this will stop me from copying it to other discs from my laptop. I am annoyed if it does, as the house now belongs to someone else, and if this is the only film copy then I have wasted time and money for nothing.

Is it possible for me to make a copy of the dvd from the video on my laptop? If it copies to there ok, why won't it download to another disc? If I can't resolve this I bought a camcorder I couldn't really afford, that I can't use. The whole point was to film family events and make copies for absent family members, tearing my hair out here.

If I can't make a copy, could a professional video copying service do so?
    Last edited by marple; 09-23-2007 at 03:47 PM. Reason: added material