Thread: Minidv recording problems

Default Minidv recording problems

Hello to all. I have this big problem. Canon XL2 camcorder, I recorded using sony minidv tapes when the problem started, and was not that bad at first(4-6 tapes). When I play the recorded tape, on the beginning of the tape the image is damaged (blocks and "waves" of small squares apear)and the sound too is damaged. Could it be the tapes or is a problem with the camcorder?

Sorry for the unprofessional language.

Sorry to hear you lost the footage on so many tapes, it sounds like you need a tapehead cleaner. This needs to be put into the camcorder on a regular basis and ran for 10 to 15 seconds. The same thing happened to me and there is nothing you can do to retrieve the footage. And as you say the sound track is also affected. Also don't record at the very beginning of tapes, before you start, put the tape in the camcorder and let it run for about 30 seconds and then press stop. Record from there up to about 59 minutes if you are using 60 min tapes and then stop. This should eliminate more problems with the tapes in future.

I've tested the camera with a sony tape and it seems to be ok. I think is a good idea to skip recording the first 30 seconds. Thanks