Thread: Help Please!

Default Help Please!

Hey there, im Patrick im totally new to this, and would be very grateful for any advice.

As part of my media GCSE we are required to shoot a 'practical production', in my case this will be a skate video. I have been doing research into which camera's are best and have decided to either get one that records to mini DV or one that records to a memory card, the 'SD' camcorder i have been looking at is the SANYO XACTI CG-65 which has a 6 megapixel resolution, although a poor optical zoom (x10). There are various mini DV cameras i have looked at but deciding on which features are a necessity is starting to confuse me slightly. I would also be very grateful if someone could answer the following for me:

1. Which type of camera would have better picture quality after editing?
    2. Do all mini DV camcorders have the same resolution?
    3. How much money would i be looking at spending for a decent quality camcorder?
    4. Will i need to buy video editing software, if so which is the best value for money?
    5. Any tips for shooting a horror movie trailer?

Thanks again, Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by crimson_ghost View Post
    Hey there, im Patrick im totally new to this, and would be very grateful for any advice.

As part of my media GCSE we are required to shoot a 'practical production', in my case this will be a skate video. I have been doing research into which camera's are best and have decided to either get one that records to mini DV or one that records to a memory card, the 'SD' camcorder i have been looking at is the SANYO XACTI CG-65 which has a 6 megapixel resolution, although a poor optical zoom (x10). There are various mini DV cameras i have looked at but deciding on which features are a necessity is starting to confuse me slightly. I would also be very grateful if someone could answer the following for me:

1. Which type of camera would have better picture quality after editing?
    2. Do all mini DV camcorders have the same resolution?
    3. How much money would i be looking at spending for a decent quality camcorder?
    4. Will i need to buy video editing software, if so which is the best value for money?
    5. Any tips for shooting a horror movie trailer?

Thanks again, Patrick
    1) Mini DV would be best (dvd and hd camaras compress the video)
    2) For the most part yes but there is a diffrence in 1 and 3 ccd camaras, get a 3ccd if you can afford it
    3) $1000+ for the creature comforts like manual focus, xlr imputs ec...
    4) If your serious about editing then yes, windows movie maker just dosen't cut it. Sony Vegas is good, premiere pro is good, Pinnacle studio is buggy crap. Go to the diffrent sites and try the demos, people will recomed the software they like and it might not be good for you.
    5) Don't give away too much of the plot, keep it under 1 1/2 min. leave the viewer wanting more. If they feel they seen it all in the trailer why watch the movie
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

thankyou for the advice, i will bear this in mind when buying my camera and software tommorow. im sure i'll be back in contact at some point. Cheers again, Patrick