Thread: Losing files

Default Losing files

My Premiere 6 keeps crashing and when I restart and open the file/project again a Dialogue Box tells me it cannot open it as: this file was created on a newer version of Premiere! I only have one version! It can't have been created on a newer or older version... On NO other version!
    I have to drag all the clips into new bins everytime this happens and I can never get to the end of the project and have a completed film.
    It seems to crash for no reason and then Windows tells me the PC 'has recovered from a Serious Error!'
    What is going on? Has anybody got some tips/clues/miracles to help me?
    Last edited by Bermondsey; 09-10-2007 at 06:40 PM.

Is this the first time Premiere has crashed on you? Are you running it on a laptop or desktop PC? Premiere 6 is going back a bit but you should be able to run it with a minimum setup unless you've added or taken something out of the computer recently? When did you last defrag your hard disk? Do you run any utilities or anti virus software at the same time as using Premiere?

No, this isn't the first time Premiere 6 has crashed on me, it seems there are always problems of one sort or another every time I need to put a film together.
    I'm running it on a PC, capturing clips to an external hard drive.
    I run McAfee Virus Scan at the same time.
    Thanks.

Stop using the external hard drive and use the internal hard drive instead. External hard drives should only be used for backup storage. More than likely it can't read or write fast enough to access or store files. Video capture needs the speed of an internal hard drive and they are maximised for a fast throughput compared to the external drives. As far as Premiere saying the files were created using a new version of the app, I'm at a total loss as to why that's happening. Also look in Premieres settings to make sure that the drive you are currently using is selected to store your files onto, in other words it is selected as the scratch disk.

Switch off McAfee as that might be having an affect aswell and a screensaver if it is running.

Thanks for that advice. I will try these and see what happens.

Thanks for that advice. I will try turning McAfee off and see what happens.