Thread: HELP for novice!

Default HELP for novice!

Hi all. I want to transfer all my old camcorder films, holidays. birthdays etc onto a DVD via my laptop. I need to edit films/clips, maybe put on some background music titles and stuff.

What's the best software for me to purchase please??

Much appreciated

Do A search of these forums, its been asked and answered

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

Pinnale Studio 11 has one really superb feature. It can generate background music to the correct length for any movie you make.

Sony Vegas is a VERY capable editor and it gives you precise control over timing and other features. It is harder to use, but in my opinion, is much more capable if your serious about sophisticated edtiting.

If I had a ton of money, I'd opt for Adobe's Suite. You get a sound editor, the video editor, Photoshop, and and other great products that stand alone as superb programs. But from your question, I'm pretty sure that a low priced editor will do what you want it to.

Me? I chose Pinnacle at first, but had rendering problems with it. I then chose Sony Vegas, and am very happy with it, though I certainly miss the automatic music generator. You can't have it all, I guess, but most of the editors have trial editions. Seek 'em out and try 'em. That's the best way to get what you're looking for.

These are the only titles I know of. THere are others, and perhaps people will point you at 'em.

Western Europe

How much do you wish to spend?

Has anyone tried the GV Edius thats Green Valley branding from Canopus

its reasonable priced about 130 but im not sure about its credentials

Sony Vegas is cheaper but I'm not sure

I have tried Pinnacle Studio
    Stuido Plus
    and a "trial" download of Liquid edition

Pinnacle Studio

studio and its variants make you pay for plug ins and some of them are pretty basic stuff like Dolby Stereo and surround Sound down to all the filters some of them at 100 a piece others at 30

I suppose its good if you know exactly what you need but for the price id expect a lot more, also studio's Final render seems to suffer from lip syncing problems that can vary drastically depending on the system you are using, although a lot does depend on your capture medium

Studio does not by default support progressive encoding despite appearing to.
    I am not sure about the latest versions tho

I had a progressive video recorded on a 30 tv capture card from Aver in progressive scan

Studio spat its dummy and wouldn't load it

Liquid edition ?

unless you have high end hardware rendered with it don't even bother its so slow on even standard definition that i would panic using it with a high def footage

so far for basic trimming of dvd quality footage and recoding to fit dvds of standard length i cheat and use NERO VISION EXPRESS

its worth noting that not all editors utilize Dual Cores and can be checked on task manager in windows