Thread: Disk Space problem when capturing onto external hard drive through Final Cut

Default Disk Space problem when capturing onto external hard drive through Final Cut

I have a Freecom External 500GB hard drive that I recently bought.

When I try to capture video through Final Cut Pro straight onto the external drive it simply says "Allocating Disk Space" for a few minutes then freezes.

Everything else works, I can capture onto my Powerbook hard drive and other hard drives but not this one.

Does anybody know a solution?

Thank you

Max

I have a Freecom aswell but I just use it as long term storage rather than capture. I presume it is connected to the computer using a USB cable? Generally speaking it is better to use a Firewire connection when it comes to video capture and that is from the camcorder to the internal hard disk, not an external one. Is its speed quoted at 7,200rpm? Is it formatted to the NTFS filing system, it needs to be in this system in order to store large video files.

Default General tips for FCP workflow

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    I have a Freecom aswell but I just use it as long term storage rather than capture. I presume it is connected to the computer using a USB cable? Generally speaking it is better to use a Firewire connection when it comes to video capture and that is from the camcorder to the internal hard disk, not an external one. Is its speed quoted at 7,200rpm? Is it formatted to the NTFS filing system, it needs to be in this system in order to store large video files.
    Nikosony has some excellent questions. I'm not super technical but I always thought that if your hard drive had Firewire and was formatted for Mac OS Extended, you'd be good. I also have a list of general tips on FCP workflow if you're interested, but it sounds like you might be a more experienced editor so I apologize if these are overly basic.

INT/Editing/FCP-Muscle-Memory Better Internet Video | Learn to produce better YouTube videos