Thread: Sony PD170 - Please Help

Default Sony PD170 - Please Help

I have a Sony PD170 and I want to get the videos I have recorded onto my computer and then to edit them.

I have a PC - what cables would I need, and what reasonably priced software packages are out there?

I have no idea what I am doing here!

Western Europe

Welcome to the wonderful and sometimes crazy world of digital video editing. I don't know that Sony model so is it a Mini DV, Mini DVD or hard disk camcorder? If it's Mini DV look to find the Firewire socket under a flap or panel on the camcorder body and you will need a cable with a four pin connector at one end and a six pin connector at the other end. The four pin connector goes into the camcorder socket and the six pin connector goes into the computer.

Provided that is you have a Firewire socket on your computer? If you don't then you can install a Firewire card, usually with 3 external sockets and 1 internal. It has to be inserted into a free PCI slot inside the computer, a five minute job if you feel confident to do it yourself or get someone else who has installed components inside computers before. If it's a Mini DVD camcorder then you can use USB or take the disc out of the camcorder after you have finalized it and then insert it into the computer. You may have got software with it to allow you to view and maybe do simple editing on the otherhand you may not. If it's a hard disk camcorder then you will connect to the computer using a USB cable.