Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewire card

Default Firewire card

Can someone please help me?
    What card do I need for my laptop----Samsung R40?
    Thank you.

What type of camcorder do you have or intend to use? If it is Mini DV, then yes go for a Firewire card but just check first that your particular model of laptop can be fitted with a Firewire card. Also, the spec of most laptops isn't up to working with video. The processor is too slow, hard disk isn't fast enough(5,400rpm compared to the 7,200rpm on a desktop computer) and doesn't have enough storage space and the FSB (Front Side Bus) speed is less than 800Mhz. 512Mb of Ram is just the bare minimum of systems memory needed to get by on.

Wow! Thanks for the reply.
    I am a complete technophobe. Yesterday I bought a Sony Mini DV -HC37 after reading this forum.
    I have a Samung R 40 laptop. I also have a Dell PC but I don't know if it has firewire port or not. I know it hasn't got wireless.
    Have I helped?
    Margaret

Use your Dell PC instead to do your video work on. How old is the Dell computer? It may well have Firewire but if it doesn't, you can buy a card called a PCI Firewire card (any good computer shop should have them or you can get one on the Net) and install it inside the computer. The PCI part is a slot or connector inside the computer were you can 'stick' new components and make it do new stuff! In this case it will allow you to connect your camcorder to the computer and transfer the video from the Mini DV tape onto the hard disk. You will also need a Firewire cable (4 pin connector at one end - plugged into the camcorder - and a 6 pin connector at the other end - plugged into the computer) and that's what you use to connect the two pieces of equipment together.

Thanks so much. The Dell is a year old. However I think it might be a basic model. My PC was hit by lightning and the insuranec company supplied the Dell and because I know so little I accepted it without doing a search. I'm a WEE bit more knowledgeable now, but just a WEE bit!
    Thanks again.

Unhappy

The PC hasn't got the port either!
    Do I need a particular PCI card?
    Last edited by albami; 09-08-2007 at 04:43 PM. Reason: sp.

Before you go off buying a PCI card just make sure you have a spare PCI slot inside the computer to actually fit it into. This will involve taking the side cover off the computer and looking at the main motherboard, the largest printed circuit board inside the computer, and depending on what way DELL lays out their computers, it is generally down near the bottom to be near the lower rear of the computer. You should see three long slots, they may be white in colour but then again I don't own a DELL myself. If you don't have any of these or you have them but they are already occupied, you may have to look at an external capture device that plugs into a USB socket, that would be my second choice over the Firewire card. But try and get a PCI Firewire card first.

O heck! This is far beyond me!
    I think I'll go to the local computer shop and take my laptop with me.
    Thanks so much for answering.

Personally I'd leave the laptop at home and take the Dell to the computer shop instead.

Hi Friends,

I am also looking for firewire card to my camcorder SONY DCR-HC40E. Since USB cable reduces the quality when transferred to computer, I decided to buy firewir card. But I do not have any idea about which is good one? Please help.
    Does the PCI Firewire card (IEE 1394) comes with any software? Or just Card and Cable?

Also I want to know the 4 pin which goes to camcorder, has to plug in at the same place where USB cable plugs in on camcorder or is there any separate socket on camcorder?

Thanks
    Kashinath

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast