Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biking... feedback and suggestions needed

Default Biking... feedback and suggestions needed

Flow
    An Attitash Downhill Biking Movie
    Mad Dog Moments 2007

3 minutes 29 seconds

Download or Open full quality version here (26.84 MB) open site then open link.

Or stream crappy version here.

Comments/Suggestions Wanted/Appreciated

Thanks for watching.

Heres the thing, Technique wise it looks good, but bike videos are tough because they all look the same, if you seen one you've seen them all. You need to find a way to make yours stand out above the rest. I have no idea how you can do this but in order to get someone to watch more then 1 min will be hard with out finding that nitch.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Hmm... thanks

This is definitley a tough question to answer. Anyone have any ideas how I could go about doing that?

Yes it is tough, You need to find a way to make it your own. Watch a bunch of mtn biking vids and you'll see what I mean. Maybe some cut aways to the location your at, interviews, establishing shots, try to make your video personal instead of "just mtn bike action" try to add a story element, why are they there, add purpose to your video. what you can do is endless.
    Wil

Software Used:

Thanks for the suggestions I really do appreciate it. I'll post my next video after doing some filming in the upcoming weeks.

Not bad, some interesting shots.

I guess it is the first stage in video editing. Cut together the action shots and add music to it.

Many of the shots were too long, with camera shake (difficult to get rid of). Definitely could do with some interviews, scenery, storyline. At the moment the story seems to be 'there were these guys riding downhill in the woods' - not the best story in the world.

If you try storyboarding something first it will focus your attention on what is needed to tell a story. Also try getting some weird angles next time (clim a tree and look down on the action) have riders jump over camera in a ditch etc.

Imagine you were writing a description of your video, it would sound pretty boring.. this guy jumps a log, then another guy goes past the camera, then someone else hops onto a rock... etc. A few of these shots are good in quick succesion, but it needs more story. If you can get your hands on a second camera and film the same shot from multiple angles it can also make things more interesting, more edits = more attention.

If you were telling a story about someone trying the route for the first time or recovering from recent injury or whatever it would hold people's attention more. One suggestion that you could implement would be an interview style narration that cuts to the action with the narrative still continuing in the background and back to action, describing technique, difficulty etc.

Just random thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by paragliding View Post
    Not bad, some interesting shots.

I guess it is the first stage in video editing. Cut together the action shots and add music to it.

Many of the shots were too long, with camera shake (difficult to get rid of). Definitely could do with some interviews, scenery, storyline. At the moment the story seems to be 'there were these guys riding downhill in the woods' - not the best story in the world.

If you try storyboarding something first it will focus your attention on what is needed to tell a story. Also try getting some weird angles next time (clim a tree and look down on the action) have riders jump over camera in a ditch etc.

Imagine you were writing a description of your video, it would sound pretty boring.. this guy jumps a log, then another guy goes past the camera, then someone else hops onto a rock... etc. A few of these shots are good in quick succesion, but it needs more story. If you can get your hands on a second camera and film the same shot from multiple angles it can also make things more interesting, more edits = more attention.

If you were telling a story about someone trying the route for the first time or recovering from recent injury or whatever it would hold people's attention more. One suggestion that you could implement would be an interview style narration that cuts to the action with the narrative still continuing in the background and back to action, describing technique, difficulty etc.

Just random thoughts...

A lot of great thoughts and ideas in there. I thank you for your suggestions.

One thing to keep in mind about climbing in trees and jumping over the camara is what if you drop the camara or they land on it and it gets destroyed is the cost of the camara an issue. I don't want to take any thing away from those they would be great shots, but if you don't have a camara your done.
    Wil

Software Used:

Or you could just be careful with your equipment..

I think most people who would be mountain biking are capable of climbing a tree without dropping their camera.
    I'm still waiting for some generous soul to take a look at my video and rip it to pieces. Anyone?

Paragliding, It would be my pleasure to rip your video to pieces....(just kiding, I have no desire to look at your video, Again I joke) Seriously though, We would love to see you video, is it posted?

As far as climbing trees and jumping with camaras s@$h happens, all I'm saying is dose the risk out weigh the reward?
    Last edited by Chapman Photography; 09-21-2007 at 08:10 PM.
    Wil

Software Used:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast