Thread: need help with windows move maker and youtube

Question need help with windows move maker and youtube

i'm very new with making videos, i only learnt how 2 days ago, anyway, whenevfer i try to upload a movie to youtube, from windows movie maker, it says invalid file format. the default format of windows movie maker is .mswmm

is there any way i can convert it to avi or somthing that youtube accepts?
    i use hypercam (unlisenced) and when you film with that it it gives you avis, so is theere any way i can put music onto, and/or make titles and credits with just hypercam?

or can anyone reccoment another free movie editor?

Your .mswmm file isn't a video file, it's the project file that only stores all the references to the edits you made in comparison to the original video (rushes). You work away on an edit, then need to close down the computer before it's finished so you save it as a project and open it again later to work on again, that's all it is.

Once the project is complete you then export it as a video and you can put it on you tube.

WMM can only create wmv or avi video files and you tube accepts both. It accepts fiels of up to 100mb I believe and converts them to flv for you. You want to make the file as big as possible (up to 100mb) to get a better quality conversion from you tube.

To do this there is a bit that says "finish movie" on the left, here select save to my computer and you will find the export settings, each setting tells you the bitrate so you want to work out from this and from how long your edit is which avi codec or wmv setting w2ill get you closest the file being 100mb

If I remember right WMM gave a predicted file size but it wasn't that great at the predictions.

Have a look and see what it says then see what you video turns out to be and you'll get an idea of what's going on.

A *.MSWMM file is not video file actually. It is a project file of Movie Maker (some sort of a text file, there are not any video).

You have to open this file in WMM and save the movie to your computer: Go Finish Movie > Save to my computer. After that you will have a WMV file which can be uploaded to youtube.
    Last edited by bryantsinger; 09-04-2007 at 08:45 AM.

thanks guys, i put you i n the credits now.

anyway, the thing said it was 48 mb, can wmm be over 100% off?
    its now at 7%, with 90-91 minute remaining EDIT: now 7 minutes later it's at 18% with 70 minute remaining. hmm
    i hate my computer.

thanks again.
    Last edited by hoiguyyami; 09-04-2007 at 04:10 PM. Reason: updated info

Windows moviemaker is rather sow to begin with so its probaly normal. I believe your video needs to be less the 10 min and under 100mb, some one can correct me if I'm wrong.

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2