Thread: External hard-drive question.....

Default External hard-drive question.....

Hi all, as you may have noticed, I am new here. My reasons for coming here are simple enough ;
    1. learn from the more experienced
    2. get ideas to use for myself
    and
    3. just general video related chat.
    That being said, my question is ....
    If I had one of the many USB pocket-size hard-drives, say 120 GB, is it possible to download my editing software to this drive, then just plug it into a different computer (at work) that does not already have any editing programs, and use it there?
    I could just download the program there, but this way-- if possible -- I could showcase some of these programs abilities on any computer.
    I thought about this earlier today and it seems like it is possible, but at the same time there is something about it that I'm struggling with.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

I don't think it would work for a few reasons, 1: usb is slow and 2: most editing software is only allowed on 1 pc at a time and the activation for the softweare takes note of your pc's spec's to ensure that its not being used by many people. As a side note, when I upgraded my pc new motherboard and processor, ram ec.. I had to convince microsoft I was not trying to install windows on 2 diffrent computers. That being said I don't think it would work but you can always try.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

OK, Thanks again, I was doubtful about it anyway. It just seemed too good.

Most software that you download is in either .zip or .exe format, in other words you will have to decompress it as in the .zip format and then install it into a folder and then run it to install it onto whichever computer you want; or run it by double clicking on the .exe file and this will ask you were you want to install it, select a location on the computer and install it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Most software that you download is in either .zip or .exe format, in other words you will have to decompress it as in the .zip format and then install it into a folder and then run it to install it onto whichever computer you want; or run it by double clicking on the .exe file and this will ask you were you want to install it, select a location on the computer and install it there.
    ....So, what are you saying here...?
    Apparently I'm not able to grasp what you are telling me,...sorry....when installing the software - I tell it to download to the external HD,....now - whatever PC I may be at, I just plug in the HD and......
    ...it just seems too easy to me, and I don't want to shell out the $$$ for the hard-drive if it won't work.
    Thanks to all who have responded so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Violator View Post
    ....So, what are you saying here...?
    Apparently I'm not able to grasp what you are telling me,...sorry....when installing the software - I tell it to download to the external HD,....now - whatever PC I may be at, I just plug in the HD and......
    ...it just seems too easy to me, and I don't want to shell out the $$$ for the hard-drive if it won't work.
    Thanks to all who have responded so far.
    Almost certainly will not work. During most programs' installations information is written to your PC's registry. If you moved the app-install drive to another PC it doesn't mean that you will be able to run the application there as information it may need to read from the registry would not be available to it. Product activation (as mentioned earlier) is likely to be one of those settings (amongst others)

Also, as Chapman said earlier, running something like your video editing software from a USB drive is going to be quite a bottleneck in comparison to an internal drive.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

"If I had one of the many USB pocket-size hard-drives, say 120 GB, is it possible to download my editing software to this drive" , then just plug it into a different computer (at work) that does not already have any editing programs, and use it there?
    I could just download the program there, but this way-- if possible -- I could showcase some of these programs abilities on any computer."

By download, I take it you mean from the Internet? Or do you mean straight off your computer? If it is the former, then the file will either be in a compressed format or an executable. If it's a compressed file then you will need to have something like WinZip or WinRAR to decompress it and 'open the files up for installation'. While using WinZip or WinRAR you will be asked where you want to install the files, in this case your computer at work, you select drive C and create a folder with an appropriate name and let the process run. When done, go to that folder on your work computer and find the executable file, double click on it and run the installation, when done it will then be installed on that computer. Your 120GB hard disk is just a storage medium and you need to go through an install process to get most programs to work. I saw a few games a few years ago, I think one was called brickout and you just downloaded it, double clicked on it and it ran, there was no installation process, can't remember what the file format was. If on the otherhand, you are talking about copying an applicaton that is already installed on your computer to this portable hard disk, then no it won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    "If I had one of the many USB pocket-size hard-drives, say 120 GB, is it possible to download my editing software to this drive" , then just plug it into a different computer (at work) that does not already have any editing programs, and use it there?
    I could just download the program there, but this way-- if possible -- I could showcase some of these programs abilities on any computer."

By download, I take it you mean from the Internet? Or do you mean straight off your computer? If it is the former, then the file will either be in a compressed format or an executable. If it's a compressed file then you will need to have something like WinZip or WinRAR to decompress it and 'open the files up for installation'. While using WinZip or WinRAR you will be asked where you want to install the files, in this case your computer at work, you select drive C and create a folder with an appropriate name and let the process run. When done, go to that folder on your work computer and find the executable file, double click on it and run the installation, when done it will then be installed on that computer. Your 120GB hard disk is just a storage medium and you need to go through an install process to get most programs to work. I saw a few games a few years ago, I think one was called brickout and you just downloaded it, double clicked on it and it ran, there was no installation process, can't remember what the file format was. If on the otherhand, you are talking about copying an applicaton that is already installed on your computer to this portable hard disk, then no it won't work.
    I am talking about downloading the program right from the disc.

Post Forums Software Like This One

Hello
    Sorry to bother you. I found this forum when looking through google for forums to use. I need
    to install a forum on my church website but I cannot find where it is sold.

Where did you get this one

Thanks for any assistance

Nancy

Toowoomba Parish

Quote Originally Posted by NancyWalshe View Post
    Hello
    Sorry to bother you. I found this forum when looking through google for forums to use. I need
    to install a forum on my church website but I cannot find where it is sold.

Where did you get this one

Thanks for any assistance

Nancy

Toowoomba Parish

I would send a pm to Marc P this is his site and he would have all that info. in the furure please start a new thread, Hijacking some ones thead is bad mojo, thanks
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction