Thread: Yet another noob question

Default Yet another noob question

OK, not completely newbie, but pretty darn close...

I have managed to capure / edit / export and burn to DVD (with a menu) a couple of movies now, using Firewire, Windows Movie Maker and Nero, and am getting reasonable comfortable with the process.

But...

The quality is barely VHS when played back from DVD, I know the original footage on the camera is fine - plays back really crisp and sharp directly from the camera.

My question is where am I loosing the quality?
    My initial assumption is that WMM is Free with the OS, and pehaps lacking in quality.

I don't mind paying upto a couple of hundred pound (if needed) to get a better quality output, but I don't want to waste money.

Can you suggest a software package (or two) that will be a) realatively simple to use, b) give me good quality output and c) will allow me to finish up with several short movies on a DVD with a menu?

Default Re: Yet another noob question

Quote Originally Posted by RedBreva

Can you suggest a software package (or two) that will be a) realatively simple to use, b) give me good quality output and c) will allow me to finish up with several short movies on a DVD with a menu?

Ulead Video studio 8 45 you can download a 30 day trial version from www.ulead.com

Mike

OK, Thanks for the reply...

I will download the 30 day trial tonight and give it a try.

Default ULead VideoStudio 8

OK, Downloaded and installed...

When I capture from my Sony HC40 (via Firewire) into Media Studio, there seems to be a significant amount of 'tearing' on fast moving objects, this is visible in the final video too.
    Windows Movie Maker occasionally had the same effect, am I doing something wrong?
    There seems to be a choice of Capture Plug-in's, I am currently using "Ulead DirectShow Capture Plug-in" Is this a good choice?

I found the program itself to be reasonably simple to pickup and use, and knocked together a short movie as a test, I then chose to burn it to disc.
    On the "Output Options" I selected "Record to disc" with "DVD-Video" format, slected my DVD burner and clicked Output. The finished DVD will not play in my DVD Player, it gives a "NOT PAL" error.
    I have PAL selected in the Edit / Preferences... Again, am I doing something wrong?

Blog Entries

The "tearing" is interlaced artifcats. It won't appear on your DVD when played on a non-progressive (interlaced) display such as a TV.

The non-pal one error is a strange one. check that your frame rate is 25fps, your frame size 720*576 and your video bitrate less than 8,000kbps. You may have your project set to PAL, but there might be a possibilty your outputting NTSC video.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    The "tearing" is interlaced artifcats. It won't appear on your DVD when played on a non-progressive (interlaced) display such as a TV.

The non-pal one error is a strange one. check that your frame rate is 25fps, your frame size 720*576 and your video bitrate less than 8,000kbps. You may have your project set to PAL, but there might be a possibilty your outputting NTSC video.
    I know on videostudio 8 there is a option for "quick eject" or something like that, when you select this it warns you that the finished DVD may not be compatible in standalone DVD players.

It could be that you have this option on??? ???

Mike

You were spot on with the quick eject!

I tried again last night (having got a DVD+RW to work with), and this time noticed the quick eject warning - switched it off - and the disc played superbly.

Really quite impressed with the quality, the clip I captured and edited in Ulead was really very good, and even the WMV file I created with WMM2 looked better than when burnt with Nero.

Happy with the quality, now I just need to get used to the interface, in the next 28 days, and I will be happy

Thanks Guys

Have had simular problems, the tearing with the final version of the DVD. I have ULead DVD factory 2 and turned off the quick eject this time yet the tearing is still a problem. (I used a Canon to capture from, Canopus RT card, Lets Edit for editing and then burnt to a Verbatim DVD-R - do any of these need to change?)

Are there any other solutions to stop the tearing?