Thread: Advice on pc spec before ordering

Default Advice on pc spec before ordering

Having at last got the final permission from the other half to go ahead, I am about to order all the nice shiny bits for a new pc just for editing. I've done some research but would like some final advice from people on here as to a couple of items.

1. DDR2 or DDR3 ram? the latter is still very new and expensive and I can probably only afford to get 2gb of that as opposed to anywher from 4gb to 8gb of DDR2. So the questions is is it better to go for the newer ram and future proof my upgrade path as much as possible or stay with the DDR2 which is still going to be so much better than what I have currently anyway.

2.Windows Vista home premium or XP pro? I'm looking to run Adobe production suite cs3 which according to adobe is certified for vista. Do I stick with XP or go with Vista, Is it still too early to adopt the new os.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed. This is spec so far anyway

Intel Q6600 quad core
    GA-P35_DQ6 or GA-P35T-DQ6 depending on the ram option
    Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro 512 DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI
    2GB DDR3 1066mhz or 4GB DDR2 800Mhz ram
    4 X Samsung 500Gb SATA 2 16Mb Cache, 7200rpm (1 as system drive, 2 in raid and 1 for backup of raid)
    2 X Pioneer DVR 112D 16x DVD burner
    2 X Samsung 22" Widescreen LCD flatscreens
    600W psu

Sorry for the long post but as I say any advice on the above or suugestions would be very welcome before I finally at long last press the buy button.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Raj View Post
    Having at last got the final permission from the other half to go ahead, I am about to order all the nice shiny bits for a new pc just for editing. I've done some research but would like some final advice from people on here as to a couple of items.

1. DDR2 or DDR3 ram? the latter is still very new and expensive and I can probably only afford to get 2gb of that as opposed to anywher from 4gb to 8gb of DDR2. So the questions is is it better to go for the newer ram and future proof my upgrade path as much as possible or stay with the DDR2 which is still going to be so much better than what I have currently anyway.

2.Windows Vista home premium or XP pro? I'm looking to run Adobe production suite cs3 which according to adobe is certified for vista. Do I stick with XP or go with Vista, Is it still too early to adopt the new os.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed. This is spec so far anyway

Intel Q6600 quad core
    GA-P35_DQ6 or GA-P35T-DQ6 depending on the ram option
    Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro 512 DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI
    2GB DDR3 1066mhz or 4GB DDR2 800Mhz ram
    4 X Samsung 500Gb SATA 2 16Mb Cache, 7200rpm (1 as system drive, 2 in raid and 1 for backup of raid)
    2 X Pioneer DVR 112D 16x DVD burner
    2 X Samsung 22" Widescreen LCD flatscreens
    600W psu

Sorry for the long post but as I say any advice on the above or suugestions would be very welcome before I finally at long last press the buy button.
    2GB or 4GB? DEFINITELY 4gb!!! esp. for video editing, photo editing etc. that extra 2 gig will gain you much more performance than DDR2/DDR3.

Dont worry too much about "future-proofing". When you feel the need to upgrade in the future, you pobably have to change more than the memory (cpu, motherboard, memory, graphics card).

great to see you've paid good attention on the harddisks and the screens sound delicious.

now XP or Vista - thats a little bit more tricky. I have not tried Vista mainly because I hear it is still buggy. Friends use Vista and it does crash (XP barely crashes nowadays). Some hardware still doesn't run well in Vista (have not got the right drivers). Vista takes more resources than XP. In the name of performance, XP should run better. But everyone wants to go Vista and I guess as an Operating System it is supposed to more user friendly.

Well hope that helps. Good luck and dont forget to enjoy the brand new system and show it off to everyone you know heheh

Thanks for the reply, I actually in the end went for 4gb ddr2 ram running at 1066mhz that was on the motherboards qualified vendors list, also chose vista as the OS.

Have now built it and after a few teething/setup problems, which was understandable as this was the first machine I've built, I'm very happy with it. Just have to load on cs3 production premium and I'm ready to go.