Thread: Your opinion on my future spec...

Default Your opinion on my future spec...

Hey all,

I'm new here and this is my first thread.
    For some time now I'm trying to build up a new video editing system for my studio. I'm using Premiere and Photoshop most of the time but also Avid from time to time. I'll be happy to read your thoughts about this one:

Intel core 2 Quad Q6600 (G0)
    Corsair DHX 4GB 800 CL5 (or maybe 2GB CL4)
    PNY Nvidia Quadro FX 1500 PVE PCIE
    WD5000YS (x2)
    Pioneer DVR-212 X18 SATA
    Antec P182B EU
    Antec HE 550W

As you can see, the spec does'nt have a mobo. Thought about Intel D975XBX2 or Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP.

Thanks ahead...

No offence, but I always find these kind of posts a bit pointless.

For a start you've not told us what you'll be doing.

For example, an 'ancient' 800MHz proccessor and a 32MB GFX card will quite happily run Final cut pro, and output to DV or export files for web/3g/dvd etc.

HD will obviously need a bit more oomph, but a 128MB Gfx and a 2GHz Dual Core will be fine for most HD editting.

These kind of posts I always feel are a bit ego driven, (I'm not saying I'm jelous of anything your quoting here, as I don't even know what half the model numbers mean), they just always seems to be a 'look what I've got/I'm getting' vibe, which I find very borring. Would you like me to list all the specs on all the computers and cameras I have, or will be buying? Nope, that's because no-one cares.

At the end of the day it's not what you've got, it's how you use it. I've seen so many vids from people with 10K+ rigs, that are really carp, compared to some vids I've seen from people using 'old' technology that cost a few quid. Again, I'm not saying you're vids are rubbish, but you don't need top end equipment to make a good vid.

Default Hey MOSH

Quote Originally Posted by MOSH View Post
    No offence, but I always find these kind of posts a bit pointless.
    For a start you've not told us what you'll be doing.
    Well, I'm a Video Editor for the last 4 years or so, working mainly at my home studio on a variety of projects.

For example, an 'ancient' 800MHz proccessor and a 32MB GFX card will quite happily run Final cut pro, and output to DV or export files for web/3g/dvd etc.
    HD will obviously need a bit more oomph, but a 128MB Gfx and a 2GHz Dual Core will be fine for most HD editting.
    I've been working till today on a P4 machine with a great deal of fun and success. Although it still works fine, I have a number of reasons for purchasing a new PC and upgrade my studio by doing so.

These kind of posts I always feel are a bit ego driven, (I'm not saying I'm jelous of anything your quoting here, as I don't even know what half the model numbers mean), they just always seems to be a 'look what I've got/I'm getting' vibe, which I find very borring. Would you like me to list all the specs on all the computers and cameras I have, or will be buying? Nope, that's because no-one cares.

I'm sorry to read that you find my "call for help" ego driven. All I can say is that we don't feel alike. Maybe I was aiming for those people who do know what the model numbers mean. Those people might help me from their knowledge and/or experience. I would be very happy to hear about your equipment and you future purchasing if you have any questions about it...

At the end of the day it's not what you've got, it's how you use it. I've seen so many vids from people with 10K+ rigs, that are really carp, compared to some vids I've seen from people using 'old' technology that cost a few quid. Again, I'm not saying you're vids are rubbish, but you don't need top end equipment to make a good vid.

I agree with you in general, but I don't think my intention was to light up a philosophical discussion (although I find it very interesting). Again, you are right - it's not the clothes or in this case the equipment that makes you good at what you do (it might help you get better, and it could make life easier). Nevertheless, I find myself over and over again waiting for my PC to execute. I'm developing and so does my business. If I can afford it, and I feel it would contribute, I don't see any reason not to keep stepping forward. But maybe you see...
    I don't find these kind of posts pointless, when there is money spent on expensive equipment, and when there are hardware compatibility issues.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by PsychoNoam; 08-31-2007 at 05:20 PM.

I'm sorry but you've still missed my point.

What you've stated here is still not much help. It would be like saying, 'I'm thinking of buying this ferrari 355, what do you think about it's handling?' most people will tell you it's great, but then as soon as you start using it in off-road racing you're going to think otherwise....

You've picked out a nice gfx card (that's one of the bits i do know about), but for all we know it could be over-kill, or even not up to what you might need it for.

Sorry if I've come across as a bit of an arse, but I get a bit impatient when people don't give enough of, or the right information about what they're doing when seeking advice.