Thread: When I import AVI I only get the sound track in Las Vegas

1. Default When I import AVI I only get the sound track in Las Vegas

This is my first time trying video editing with this program when I drag a clip that is e.g. wmv there is no problem but if I drag an avi I only get the sound track ?

2. Default

this avi clips came from my cannon SD600 camera ...

I think it is due to the codec.
    Drag it to gspot and check which video codec it uses.

I had a similar problem with my Pentax It's down to Codecs. Bryant is right - use G-Spot to determine the codec then download that codec and reboot your machine.

My solution, although not the best way but it should work.:

Drag clips into Windows movie maker then save that movie as a high res wmv, then bribng em back to Vegas

(I'm sure its a typo on your part but the application is called Sony Vegas not LAS Vegas)
    Last edited by irishmark; 09-04-2007 at 03:38 PM. Reason: cause i can

I'm actually having trouble with this. I downloaded a Naruto episode (it was an .AVI file) for my AMV (Anime Music Video) and i uploaded it onto Vegas 7, no video. I tried to upload it onto WMM and it just closes cause of an "overflow" when the file is 122 MB and i have uploaded files that were 2GB.

Drag your avi files to gspot, how it tells?

OK, an easy way, find a video converter to convert the avi to wmv or other video format and then import it to vegas.

If you still have questions, post it here

7. Default

I have this same problem with my canon a620. The AVI files only read as audio.

I work around this problem by using SUPER video converter. It's free and works well.

The files need to be converted to DV *digital video formant. I use AVI as the container, and WAV as the audio codec.

This works, but is inconvenient as it needs to be done for every clip.

Uhh like...hi? Sorry to bring out an extremely dead thread but... I have the codecs needed to play/import the friggin avi files to Vegas, but I'm still getting this problem. What am I supposed to do now so I CAN import them in Vegas (because I really don't wanna screw around WMM etc...)? =='

EDIT: Ugh nevermind, I downloaded another set of codecs instead of the old ones I had. No clue why they suddenly stopped working when they worked perfectly ever since I got them... K nevermind then, all's fixed, ignore this.
    Last edited by Phel; 01-10-2010 at 08:46 PM.