Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Attempt at a First Dance Wedding Video

Blog Entries

Default First Attempt at a First Dance Wedding Video

I've been dragging my heels finishing my mate's wedding video, so I thought I'd have a quick stab at a "first draft" of the first dance. I thought I'd put this at the start of the DVD before the main menu.

http://www.digital-director.com/firstdance.wmv (22MB)

I love the idea, with the inserts, and the close ups are great.

How long is the finished video to be? You don't want too long before it starts if it's out of proportion to the 'main feature'.

Are you doing a VHS version as well? I ask as I recently did one for my son's girlfriend's sister's wedding, and the older generation all needed VHS tapes, not DVDs. (I wasn't there, my son borrowed my camcorder, but he wasn't 'official' or even semi official, just one of the guests, even though he was asked to bring my camcorder as they couldn't afford a video)

Gillian
    Win XP, Athlon 1.8, G force 3 T, 1 60gig drive + 1 250 gig, Pinnacle Studio 9 plus mostly, Premiere 6, and Vegas 5 sometimes, Soundforge, Cool Edit.

Good stuff Marc, I liked it a lot.

Two comments though, neither regarding composition and content.

1) Not sure about your intended use. At nearly 4 minutes, it's rather long to go BEFORE the DVD main menu i think. I'd include it as an 'extra' on the disk and use some of it as an animated background to the menu maybe.

2) With cutting from inside (low light) to outside I found it emphasised the artificial lighting and colour cast of the indoor shots. Did you try and colour balancing and/or colour correction on the indoor shots? Most noticable in the 'cutting the cake' shot where the indoor lights are up.

Go on, fire up those 'levels' and give that new PC a workout!

Blog Entries

I agree with the color balance issue. The lighting inside was obvioulsy awful (thank god for the new XM2), I mucked up the white balance on the cutting the cake shot and outside was one of the sunniest days this year! I may add a blur effect to the outside shots and seriously play around with the cutting of the cake.

You're right. It's way too long for an intro. Bad idea by me. Think I'll do my usual 15-30 short for that particular piece!

One thing that I seriously mucked up on was forgetting to use the cutaway cam for the ceromony. I had to piece together some footage as cutaway for when the photgrapher got in the way/any bad pans. The extra cam worked wonders for the speeches as I got the reactions on film. Unfortunately I was using a less than able cam for this... so I so need another decent camcorder!

The finished video is about 30-40 mins long. Good some really nice close ups before an after the wedding. One thing I did wrong on the first dance scene was coming out of the close up halfway through. That was one of the reasons I decided to do the cutaways to the day's events

Thanks for the comments. Given me something to think about...

The wedding video I referred to above also had to be corrected for colour balance, as it took place in a hotel room with picture windows and bright sunshine behind the bride and groom. As I don't use a TV as a monitor screen, I had to make 3 test versions of the corrected scenes to try out on a TV before I got it right, (or as near right as possible) as the computer screen is darker than a TV/camera screen. What was meant to be a gift from my son to the bride and groom took me hours of work

I'm told by the experts in my video club that the way to get an auto white balance when you don't have the opportunity to do it properly, is simply to switch the camera on to record/pause before you take the lens cap off.

Gillian
    Win XP, Athlon 1.8, G force 3 T, 1 60gig drive + 1 250 gig, Pinnacle Studio 9 plus mostly, Premiere 6, and Vegas 5 sometimes, Soundforge, Cool Edit.

aahhh lets all just not worry about it and go out and buy an AVID. i hear color correction is easier than scratching your nads on them.....

btw, good job mark. i liked it, i almost cried.

....seriously.
    Frank Sinatra - \"Thats Life, Biatch\"

Blog Entries

It's amazing how emotive that music is. Oh, and here's a tip: make sure you get the name of the song and artist of the first dance so you can replace the audio

Hi Marc,
    I like the cutaways with the dance as the common thread. Could turn it into a summary of the whole wedding video (nicely condensed to 4 minutes - maybe they could even email it out to the guests). There seems room for more cutaways around minute 2:00.

Really nice work. It just goes to show the importance of starting with good footage. However, this - together with the 'video wall' one - reminded me of what a huge amount I have to learn. It's all very well to know about the features of Premiere - the big questions to me (ditto with Photoshop, ditto with Encore) - are a) what do these do in reality, and b) how/why would I use them? It also reminded me that technical proficiency is no substitute for creativity and 'feel': this piece shows how to combine the two (or three) to maximum effect. The video wall effect is stunning. A couple of questions arise: in Photoshop, you can eliminate unwanted 'stuff' from a picture (e.g. telegraph pole coming out of someone's head): can you do the same with Premiere? I noted a big red bus going by outside that I'd have rather not seen, and some poor wally trying desperately to stay out of shot during the cake-cutting, which meant I could only look at that scene and wonder whether he was going to topple right over... Cheers, Ian.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Blog Entries

I'm certainly no Affter effects expert (don't even have it!) but what you can do is take footage from another, earlier (or later) piece of video with the EXACT same angle then place a section of this over the top of your existing video (compositing I believe is the techy term). Provided you have nothing that overlaps (eg trees moving, people going accross the shot) in the two videos, you'll be fine. this is how you achieve the "idential twin" effect. There are other options available, but these involve exporting frames to a graphical editor and manipulating them individually. At 25fps, that's a lot of frames.

so, the lesson is make sure u get good shots . The happy couple somethimes cut the cake twice: once for the photographers and once for the guests. In fact a lot of things are repeated, so take the opportunity to record them. On that note, you can also try cutting away to another piece of video should some idioy come into screen (just keep the audio track of A rolling while you cut to B - B could be something completely unrelated that totaly appears in context).

On a related note, I recently missed the bride arriving in the car. It wasn't a sunny day and the windows were heavily tinted, so after the ceremony I legged it down to the driver and got him to drive up to the church whilst I filmed. No-one knows mhwahahahaha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast