Thread: Another newby having trouble

Default Another newby having trouble

I am new to this game. All I want to do is some basic video editing, adding captions, inserting images and adding a soundtrack. Then I want to burn a DVD to play in a standard player.

I have purchased a SONY AD-7173A DVD Writer (SONY AD-7173A DVD Writer Labelflash DVDRW FREE NERO on eBay, CD DVD Drives, Drives Storage, Computing (item 230159622800 end time 12-Aug-07 15:50:06 BST) Which looks to be pretty much all singing and all dancing. I have created a video in Intervideo Win DVD v 1.1. When I go to burn the DVD to a fujifilm DVD-R DVD I choose the VCD format and Pal for the TV system. When I tell it to burn I get the error message "The output format you chose is not compatible with the disc type" I have also tried burning with the SVCD format but same error message. I can quite happily send the video to the Hard drive for later burning but do not know how to burn it from there.

What am I doing wrong?
    Can I do what I want with the software and hardware I have?
    Is there a better (cheap) software I could use?

Also installed on the PC I have Nero7 and Windows Movie maker.

Thanks

The thing that sticks out is "VCD" (video CD) you need to use a DVD setting not VCD, Try that and post back if your still having problems.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

There is no DVD setting in the software I have, I guess it is not up to the job then? Is there an updated version of this, or can I create DVD's from within moviemaker or Nero7? or can you recomend some other software I could use?

Thanks

I think you must have the basic Nero burning software, which only burns CDs. Seems like you need to buy one of the Enhanced/Premium packages in order to burn DVDs. Since you are setting the output to Pal, I presume you're in the UK. When you get your new burning software, go to its preferences, and make sure that it's set to the TV Standard PAL, and then forget it from then on, (unless you are specifically burning an NTSC file that you want to remain in NTSC format for sending to the States etc).

You could get nero7 utra/enhanced ec.. But if your serious about editing I would spend the extra $30 and get vegas studio or premier elements that way you can upgrade to the full versions cheaper when your ready.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Quote Originally Posted by weety View Post
    There is no DVD setting in the software I have, I guess it is not up to the job then? Is there an updated version of this, or can I create DVD's from within moviemaker or Nero7? or can you recomend some other software I could use?

Thanks
    I had the same problem. When I upgraded my PC, the new one had a DVD burner and the basic Nero package. - All excited, I jumped right in to edit and burn DVD's.
    Very soon I realized that they had suckered me into purchasing MORE software.
    BUMMER.
    But, these people are dead-on with advice (as usual)....you just need to upgrade your software.