Thread: Sound out of synch with .avi

Default Sound out of synch with .avi

When I record .avi files, the sound is often quite a bit out of synch with the video. This happens either with a digital camera or when recording video from the computer.

If I stop the playback and restart close to the obvious out-of-synch frames, it seems to get better, but why is it happening at all? Is this something with Windows Media Player that I use to review raw video? Or is it something to do with .avi files in general?

It's useful to remember that video and audio are treated independently by the hardware in your system. Sound is processed through a whole separate load of electronic circuitry, encoders, decoders, etc than the video and each step it goes through adds a little bit of time. The accumulation of all that time, known as latency, may just be a symptom of your hardware configuration and components.

I'm not sure there'll be much you can do about preventing this (others may have better ideas than I), but any half decent editing software will let you slip the audio independently of the video on the timeline. I suspect the latency will be pretty uniform if it is a hardware induced cause. You may want to just ensure you have plenty of disk space prior to recording (don't want any paging going on) and it's defragmented. Not sure it will make a difference, but worth trying.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid