Thread: Frame skipping problem

1. Default Frame skipping problem

Hi, I am new here, I did not find an answer in the FAQ or archive... apologies if I am asking something basic.

I transfer my video with a firewire, after I reboot my PC and don't open any other apps. When I edit it in MS Movie Maker 5.1, very often it looks like the film is skipping. I viewed the film in my Sony camcorder and it seems to be fine, the problem occurs once my video is captured by Movie Maker.

Does it sound like I need more memory (I have 512MB) or a different editing software, or is the problem with something else altogether?

TIA!

I thought I posted a reply to this, but here goes a second time. Is your Sony a Mini DV or Mini DVD camcorder? Are you using a laptop or desktop PC to capture your video, what is the rest of its spec? It could be your computer is not fast enough to allow you to capture and playback video smoothly, the holy grail for home video editors for a long time. Your software is fine although limited in what it can do especially when it comes to making DVD's to later watch.

3. Default

Thank you for the response. My camcorder is Sony Mini DV DCR-HC40, I've had it for some time and yes, I am aware of the Movie Maker's recording limitation. I use Nero Vision to make DVDs.

My PC is a Compaq Presario, Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.80 GHz, 512 MB of RAM, Windows XP home edition 2002, 181 GB disk. It may not be the latest and greatest but is it adequate?

Your computer setup is fine and you are transferring using Firewire. You may want to defragment your hard disk more regularly now that you are working with video. Also, during capture disable or suspend items such as screensavers, scheduled tasks and anti virus software. I've never used Nero Vision to make DVD's so I can't comment on its settings. One final thought, are you capturing using the .avi file format or .mpeg?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    One final thought, are you capturing using the .avi file format or .mpeg?
    Neither - Movie Maker creates a .wmv file.