Thread: Best export settings for 2.0GB movie

Default Best export settings for 2.0GB movie

Okay our movie is finally finished, with much help from the members of these forums.

All total, when I export the entire sequence with all of the clips together at 48mhz I get a 2.0GB file. I am guessing this is probably close to the amount that will have to be encoded onto a dvd?

Since that will obviously not fit on a DVD I am wondering what the best way to compress things is, or if that is my only option.

Premier Pro v 7.0
    AMD Athlon XP 1500
    1GB 533 MHx DDR2 SDRAM

(Obviously I am hoping not to lose quality too much. I mean, how come big-budget films have super good quality on DVD? Also the movie is going to be shown on a big screen in case you know anything about that.)

What am I missing here? 2Gb will easily fit on any DVD-R I have as they hold over 4Gb each layer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    What am I missing here? 2Gb will easily fit on any DVD-R I have as they hold over 4Gb each layer.

Really? Oh god okay just throw this one in the "I'm an idiot" category.

Can I assume the 'big screen' is 16:9 format? You should be able to run off a widescreen version of your movie in the render to dvd settings, it's usually set at 4:3.

Okay, I guess my real question is; are there any guides out there for the best export setting to be shown on a big screen? I'm guessing there will be a ton of resolution loss at that size.

You will have a lot of quilty loss on a movie screen or are you just talking about big screen tv, if you have it converted to 35mm with no inhacements you'll be looking at $1000+ and $200-250 per print each print will last about less then 100 screenings ( thats why you don't see shorts at your aveage theater )
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

We're all anxious to know how 'big' this big screen is?

Well, they asked for it in DVD format. I think they just project it from a DVD player.

By big screen I mean theater size. Not one of those three story ones but at least ten or fifteen feet high.

In terms of the projection, it will depend very much on the quality of the projector and what it is capable of playing out as to how good the quality your film will look.

However, you do appear to have some room for maneuver. One of the 'High Quality' presets should be fine for your project - how long is the video?

Quote Originally Posted by Rovers_robin View Post
    In terms of the projection, it will depend very much on the quality of the projector and what it is capable of playing out as to how good the quality your film will look.

However, you do appear to have some room for maneuver. One of the 'High Quality' presets should be fine for your project - how long is the video?
    It is 1Hr 20 minutes. I already used and MPEG2 encode to DVD with maximized bitrate. When I watch it on my computer, it looks pretty pixiliated, but when I watch it on my TV it looks very smooth and I can't detect a loss in quality. I'm hoping the projector smooths out the edges as well.