Thread: Sony vegas 8.0 - 3 questions - thanks

Default Sony vegas 8.0 - 3 questions - thanks

Dear all,

I am a first timer here and hope you guys can help me out.
    I use vegas 8.0 (which probaly is not so different to 7.0)?!
    Here my queries.

Opening current projects (*.vf not yet rendered - still working on it) takes quiet a long time (5 min). Does it depend on my hardware or is this a set up issue ?

Rendering finished projects take a very long time to complete.
    (i.e. i have created a slide show by adding more than 100 pics, every pic with transitions and the whole thing with background music - sure its a big file 3gb, but....)
    It took more than 10 hours !!! to finish this process. Is this normal ?
    (ok i know i just have to sit and wait - but still - during this time i cant do anything on the computer)

I have a current project and have added several media files to the bin, and have edit a part of it already. Now i am running out of space on this HD. How can i move the whole package to another HD, whithout loosing the *.vf information.
    Is it possible to move the involved original media files (mp2, mp3, jpeg etc) to another place - during the editing?

thanks for your kind help
    looking forward to some suggestions
    Last edited by twouse; 08-23-2007 at 07:14 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by twouse View Post
    Dear all,

I am a first timer here and hope you guys can help me out.
    I use vegas 8.0 (which probaly is not so different to 7.0)?!
    Firstly, you are using Vegas Movies Studio (VMS) rather than Vegas. It may be useful to make this clear in future posts so as to avoid people suggesting you use such and such a feature which you don't actually have
    Opening current projects (*.vf not yet rendered - still working on it) takes quiet a long time (5 min). Does it depend on my hardware or is this a set up issue ?
    Sounds like a long time. What's the spec of your system? Do you really mean when opening a project or when opening VMS?

Rendering finished projects take a very long time to complete.
    (i.e. i have created a slide show by adding more than 100 pics, every pic with transitions and the whole thing with background music - sure its a big file 3gb, but....)
    It took more than 10 hours !!! to finish this process. Is this normal ?
    Many things affect this - length, nature of transitions, nature of effects, format you're rendering to. Depends what you've got going on there, but quite possible.
    I have a current project and have added several media files to the bin, and have edit a part of it already. Now i am running out of space on this HD.
    Now THAT could be your problem. You need TONS of space and you should always keep your video captures/audio/still (ie all your media) on a different drive to your system/program drive. If you've got it all on one, I suspect your system is desperately trying to page RA to hard disk and finding only a small amount of space. Furthermore, your hard disk will be highly fragmented with all this going on. DEFRAGMENT!

How can i move the whole package to another HD, whithout loosing the *.vf information.
    Is it possible to move the involved original media files (mp2, mp3, jpeg etc) to another place - during the editing?

thanks for your kind help
    looking forward to some suggestions[/QUOTE]
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by twouse View Post
    Dear all,

How can i move the whole package to another HD, whithout loosing the *.vf information.
    (Sorry, computer wouldn't let me complete my previous reply!)

The above is quite easy. Simply move your original files to their new location.
    When you re-open your .vf file (it doesn't matter where that is), it will fail to find the media and give you a number of choices one of which is to search for the media and another is for you to specify where it is. Once you've pointed it at the first file you moved, it will ask if you want it to look for all project media in that new location.

The above is based on VMS6 and Vegas 7. I can't imagine 8 is any different, but then again Microsoft renamed "Add & Remove" programs in Vista for no apparent reason
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    (Sorry, computer wouldn't let me complete my previous reply!)

The above is quite easy. Simply move your original files to their new location.
    When you re-open your .vf file (it doesn't matter where that is), it will fail to find the media and give you a number of choices one of which is to search for the media and another is for you to specify where it is. Once you've pointed it at the first file you moved, it will ask if you want it to look for all project media in that new location.

The above is based on VMS6 and Vegas 7. I can't imagine 8 is any different, but then again Microsoft renamed "Add & Remove" programs in Vista for no apparent reason
    Dear Tim,

Thanks a lot - that was realy fast and professionell.
    I will keep it in mind and try the moving part

thanks again