Thread: HD Video Converting

Default HD Video Converting

Hallo, I'm a newbie here, so first i just wanna say hallo to all of you.

I have a MacBook Pro, on which i have installed OS X and Win Xp, i also have a Sony HDR-SR7E camera. I transfer my videos, in Win Xp, via Sony Motion Picture Browser, on OS X, via iMovie '08, the videos are in 1920x1080px resolution, so here's the problem, when i transfer the video via imovie, the size of a video gets bigger over five times then the one transfered by Sony Motion Picture Browser, but those files can not be played with any player, but the Sony AVCHD Player, with imovie i can play it with any player, 'cause it converts files in .mov format, but like i said, it's much bigger files.
    So, my question is, is there some universal file converter which allows converting without drastic increasing of a file size or lose of a video quality?
    And another one, are the files converted in imovie from 1920x1080 resolution to imovie large format (960x540px), show poorer quality played on a HD TV.
    Many Thanks.

Have you considered purchasing Final Cut Pro 6? The reason I say this is because it comes with Apple's new ProRes 422 codec which gives HD quality video at SD file sizes. You can view a video quick tour of the codec here

It's probably not worth purchasing FCP just for that particular codec but if you're also considering doing some video editing work (and you have a nice set up there to do it with) then you might want to consider this one-stop approach.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

I just check it on a Apple site, and i think am gonna purchase it. Thanks.

Cool. If you can stretch to it you may want to consider the Final Cut Studio (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor, Color). In any case there is an upgrade price from FCP to FCS should you wish to do that in the future.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid