Thread: Camera person as a professional career.

1. Default Camera person as a professional career.

I dont know if this is the right section, but im 17 right now and wanna do Camera person or editing as a professional career, but i heard that its such an unstable career and hard to get jobs. So im asking the guys that are doing this as professions if its worth it. And i've looked if it pays good and it was okay but i wanted to know from the people that actually do the jobs if it pays good.

If you need to ask then its not for you. Yes you can make a good living but It could take some time to get going. The best thing you can do is learn by doing find someone who is willing to work with you on weekends and such, but get a job during the week to pay the bills. That way if your big break happens it happens. There are many people in the industry that are struggling to make ends meet. That dose not mean not to try but to be prepared. Hope this helps.
    Wil
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    If you need to ask then its not for you. Yes you can make a good living but It could take some time to get going. The best thing you can do is learn by doing find someone who is willing to work with you on weekends and such, but get a job during the week to pay the bills. That way if your big break happens it happens. There are many people in the industry that are struggling to make ends meet. That dose not mean not to try but to be prepared. Hope this helps.
    Wil

Ok, thanks for the advice. But i definitaly want to do this cause i enjoy making movies and editing them. Whenever i make a movie with some friends im usually the only when ever enjoy doing it. But would wedding movies be a good place to start? Cause i know to get good jobs you need experience and i was wondering that if i start in wedding videos it would maybe give me a couple of years experience then i could go on to possibly making movies or tv shows.

Yes and no, there realy is no right answer, of course you'll get better by practice. A lot of directors and studios don't want to hire people right out of film school because they want them to do things their way with out haveing to break your bad habits, The best way to get into "Hollywood" is to get a job as a loader, PA ec.. then work your way up.
    Wil

Software Used:

5. Default

Yes and no, there realy is no right answer, of course you'll get better by practice. A lot of directors and studios don't want to hire people right out of film school because they want them to do things their way with out haveing to break your bad habits, The best way to get into "Hollywood" is to get a job as a loader, PA ec.. then work your way up.
    Ok, thanks. But would you suggest that i move to LA after college or stay here in Miami and try to get Camera person jobs or other lower jobs down here.

That would be up to you, Thare are more industry jobs in LA but a lot more compitition.
    Wil

Software Used:

7. Default

That would be up to you, Thare are more industry jobs in LA but a lot more compitition.

Ya, i cant decide. If they're wasnt so much competition i would move to LA but they'res so much more jobs there. But they'res less competition in Miami. If anyone has advice, please share.