Thread: What is a really good video editing program?

Default What is a really good video editing program?

Hey guys, me and a few friends are making videos and were sick of Windows Movie Maker, and were wondering whats a simple, not to hard to figure out program to use for editing videos. Which includes cool effects and everything.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tielurr View Post
    Hey guys, me and a few friends are making videos and were sick of Windows Movie Maker, and were wondering whats a simple, not to hard to figure out program to use for editing videos. Which includes cool effects and everything.
    Thanks!
    Can anyone help ? I bought a Sony DCR SR72E and I am struggling to find editing software.
    The Sonycentre said that Sony Movie Maker Premium was good - but I cannot find it. PLease e.mail me back any good ideas. Thanks

Just do a search of the forum, this question is asked by every first time poster. google "sony media" and you see the sony website all their products are there.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    Just do a search of the forum, this question is asked by every first time poster. google "sony media" and you see the sony website all their products are there.
    Hi. I am a first time poster, and I'm not asking the question, but, I'll gladly offer a reply. If you are looking to grow into editing and can justify the expense, I think Sony Vegas offers the best value. I've been into Vegas since version 2, and it's up to version 8 now, so, I've been doing this for a while. Prior to Vegas, I used computers to edit and create masters linearly using Pinnacle Systems VideoDirector.

That program used the computer to assemble edit decision points, then, control your analog playback/record equipment to assemble a second generation master from your 1st generation analog footage.

Life has improved greatly for us over the years. We now have computers that digitize footage from all sources, and we can assemble digitally without losing quality that was inherent in copying analog tapes.

There are many editing applications available to you depending upon whether you want to really grow into editing or just need a simple program to do some basic editing.

I am no fan of Pinnacle, but they do offer a simple program called Studio (I have and use version 9, but there are newer versions available).

If you can spend a bit more and want to purchase one time a tool that will serve your needs no matter how complex your projects become, look at Sony's Vegas. It will give you virtually everything you need (even if you turn pro) without breaking the bank. The interface is simple (I find it easier than Studio), and the results can be stunning.

Vegas has great audio capability and you can have as many audio/video tracks as your computer will handle.

Good luck and happy shopping.

Caruso

Hey, I'm new here and don't want to rock the boat, but myself and many people do "not" find Sony Vegas very easy or intuitive. People who use it seem to love it and I am told it makes more sense to someone coming from an audio background.

Pinnacle Studio 11 is a very intuitive program, and reasonably priced. You need to get the plus version at least, to get an overlay track. It does have it's quirks, as do they all, but it's simple. Your computer specs need to meet their requirement though.

Adobe Premiere Elements is very good also.

Power director is simple
    Pinnacle Studio is good

Cyberlink Power Director is okay, very simple, very few features. I got it to work on one computer, but it was an older one. It would not work on my newer one which is where I would have preferred it to be. It gets rated high in some places because it is very very simple. So if you are a beginner, and you don't want to do much with your movies - it's fine.

I believe it does utilize Smartsound though, as does Studio, Ulead and Adobe.

The customer support were no help - canned answers that didn't address the issue. I used it for a few things, then uninstalled it.

Studio is better value for the money.