Thread: Novice Needs Help with Camcorder > PC, please....

Default Novice Needs Help with Camcorder > PC, please....

Hi

I have a Sony CDR-PC9e camcorder I bought new in 2001. Great camera, now I want to transfer my video tapes to DVD via my laptop. I am quite knowledgable with PC's and can copy however I am experiencing some problems;

I have lost the original cables and CD that came with the camera. However I have a mini USB cable which does fit and connects to my laptop but nothing happens.

I have tracked down a couple of USB drivers and downloaded/installed but still nothing happens.

Do I need a 'firewire' cable for the additional socket on the camera?
    Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks
    Last edited by prworld; 08-16-2007 at 07:46 PM.

..Stick with firewire

Yes, do stick with Firewire it will give the best quality results. Plug one end into the camcorder and the other end into the Firewire socket on the computer. If you don't have Firewire you may be able to get one for a laptop although personally I wouldn't do video capture and editing on a laptop as they are too slow, don't have enough memory, the hard disc isn't big enough and fast enough (5,400rpm compared to the 7,200rpm needed for smooth video capture and playback). That's why if you are serious about video editing, a desktop PC (it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg) would be a better choice.

Thanks for this. I don't seem to be able to find any drivers for my camcorder? Also, I notice the camcorder as an 'S Video' socket as does my laptop. Will I be able to connect them with an S Video cable, or should I stick with getting a fiewire cable (my laptop has both firewire and S video sockets).

I assume though that I will need the drivers in order to be able to capture the video in my laptop, which ever cable I use?

Thanks

P.S. I am assuming that the small socket next to the USB socket is actually a firewire socket? It looks very similar to to IEEE1394 socket on my laptop.
    Last edited by prworld; 09-16-2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: error

Forget about USB, forget about S-video, just use the Firewire cable. I haven't used a Sony CDR-PC9e so I don't know whether you have to install drivers or any other software before you can use it, it's just trial and error. With Firewire the camcorder should be recognised as soon as everything is connected up. The computer should make a few beep sounds and message bubbles should appear beside the Systems Tray; and if you open up My Computer, look down through the icons to see if your camcorder is now showing up.

S-video doesn't carry audio signals, it just has the video signal.

Thanks I shall obtain a FW cable and give it a go!

Hi. I've bought a firewire cable but sadly nothing happens! My PC is new with Vista but nothing happens when the camera is connected and turned on. I assume I need the driver for the camcorder, I know that Sony refer to the firewire as 'ILInk', however I cannot find drivers anywhere. I've tried Google and Driverguide.com without success. Does anyone know which driver I need and where I can get it?

Thanks

You're not the only one with problems concerning Sony camcorders and Vista, I've read a few posts on this forum in the past week about the exact same problem. I think I'll be sticking with XP for the time being.