Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Premier & VHS question

Default Adobe Premier & VHS question

What is the best way to capture VHS tapes to a pc (so it is available for editing in premier), without losing quality? Is there another format, aside from .avi, that is "editable" by Premier??

I haven't bought Premier yet, but will if I can retain quality when capturing my VHS tapes into the editing program.

Thanks for the help guys...

AVI is the prefered method for editing, I have found that VHS causes a lot droped frames. The best way to get around this is to copy to a dvd recorder. if you need to do editing just import to your NLE of choice.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

However, to capture video from an analogue source (i.e. a VHS tape) you will need a video capture card of some sort. Do you have one?

Do you have a digital camcorder with AV in sockets and a Firewire socket? You can use a digital camcorder as an analogue to digital convertor, but it needs the above mentioned sockets.

Alan Mills responded
    However, to capture video from an analogue source (i.e. a VHS tape) you will need a video capture card of some sort. Do you have one?
    I've often wondered what's a good video capture card to get: brand, spec etc.. I'm new to all of this and would be interested to receive some recommendations.

Cuffo.

I ran into this problem a while ago, went out and paid 80 or so for a pinnacle super dooper capture device, when i got it home i found that the quality just wasnt what i expected.
    However, after taking a moment and had stopped stamping my feet in a tantrum, i found that my sony handycam could do the job far better. All you need is a av lead from your vhs player to your camcorder, then a firewire lead from your camcorder to your pc. Using this method i can capture straight into premier pro without having to record onto dv tape and the quality is superb.

Certainly worth investigating....
    May the force be with you..

I use a Matrox capture card for VHS and DVD capture if I need to.

I tried using a Dazzle video capture dongle, but suffered dropped frames and a nasty case of audio sync loss (And this was using it on a pretty good machine too) I finally decided that USB2 is not good for this kind of real-time application

Eventually I figured out my Sony MiniDV Camcorder (DCR PC100E) has video in, so I recorded the VHS to mini-dv and then used firewire to import the video as uncompressed AVIs.

I also found a noise reduction plug which was designed for VHS footage that was pretty good (I'll try to dig out the name if I have time before my holiday)

Obviously the resolution of VHS ain't great... But at least now I have the stuff archived on DV tape and on DVD.

MarkOneMusic, you don't need to record onto a Mini DV tape first and then transfer it to the computer unless you want a Mini DV version of your VHS tape. Just follow the procedure I have described above, as you say you have Video In on your camcorder and DV Out, just use the camcorder as an analogue to digital convertor.

Yup, exactly the way i described it too, no need to use up dv tape, just capture straight to hard drive.
    May the force be with you..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast