Thread: Export to FTP site problem!

Exclamation Export to FTP site problem!

Ok guys, need advice and opinions. I am encoding a video 26:54 in length to .wmv (as per client specifications). I am doing this at 1024k; at 512k there was no problem...However, quality of file was to bit an issue for the client, so I bumped my datarate to 1024k.

Problems are happening with the 1024k streams. I spent 5 hours last night encoding, reencoding, re-reencoding and uploading, reuploading, and re-reuploading (pobobly many more 're's) with differant settings each time (variable unconfined bitrate, variable confined bitrate, constant bitrate etc...).

The problem is that the video steam simply stops on the windows media player somewhere into the timeline, everyone is noticing it at the same spot (once at 7 seconds in, once at 7:13 in). The file shows itself as being much larger, windows media player recognizes it as a 26:54 minute file, but freezes at that point.

I am uploading to their ftp site, which is mostly utilized for SMALL (<30mb) video files at lower datarate, wordpad docs, GIF image files etc...

I suspect the problem (much refuted by their tech department guys) is on their end. Their server can't pump out the 1024k datarate for good quality video reliably. The video encoded file plays fine when I play it on my machine off the harddrive locally. I seriously doubt their FTP server is running on 20 parellel T1 line connections, even if they are a wealthy publishing house...

I have two options in thinking about, either contacting a streamserver like Akamai, and have them host our streams (though I hear their a bit of a pain to deal with) or using flash encoding. They were pretty opposed to using flash, because they say noones familiar with it, and they may not have the flash plug-ins. I simply say ever watched a video off youtube-yeah thats all flash, and 85% of the machines currently out there support flash out of the factory, and its a FREE downloadable plugin from macromedia.com etc...My arguments are falling on dry ground and not really sinking in.

Should I be more insistent upon using flash as my encoding of choice for this scenario, should I contact Akamai or a simliar outfit? (if so any ideas on cost, etc?)
    Or do you guys think I could still (I'm young and not perfect) could be doing something wrong...?

I have had a simliar issue with a Bulgarian internet outfit. I insisted on them using the Flash software.

The best way I found in convincing them was to upload the video in a Flash format to a client preview page on my own website that I knew could cope with the quality. They looked at it and eventually admitted it was good.

I then created a link of the finished version where they could download it straight to their systems.

The video I created is Green Screen based and at the below link so it was quite a large file size originally.

JAPAUTOAGENT-Japanese Car Import Agent

Hope this helps.