Thread: New to all of this, and frustrated ..

Red face New to all of this, and frustrated ..

first off, hello

I recently purchases a Sony HDR-HC5 1080i "HD" camcorder.. only to realize, I have no real idea what to do with it..

my main dilemma is how to get the BEST possible video quality onto a DVD..

the camera can output in 2 modes.. one is DV.. which is an AVI file the other is in HDV which is a raw .m2t file.. which IM GUESSING) is probably a higher quality format..

my main problem is that.. only the sony software that came with the camera wants anything to do with the m2t format.. Win Movie maker, nero.. etc etc.. nothing I CAN FIND will work directly with that format..

I did stumble across a program called MPEGSTREAMCLIP, which can convert .m2t to various formats, such as .dv.. etc etc... BUT i seem to lose quality in doing so.. I
    for example if I burn a dvd using the horrid software working off the raw .m2t format, the picturea quality is better than if I convert the .m2t to .dv and burn the dvd with nero7..

basically I have a 3 part question..

1: is the i-link (firewire) cable im using to stream the files off the cam to my PC the best way, in terms of retaining video quality..

2: is there ANY program out there other than this VERY limited sony software that works directly with the .m2t format? yes the sony software WILL take the clips and make the playable on a DVD player, but that is ALL it will do.. its horrid.

3:what are the programs YOU folks use.. Ideally I would like a single App that can pull the video from the cam, do all necessary editing, dubbing, setting up the DVD menus.. etc etc and burn the DVD. Granted I doubt that one wonder program that is the best at everything exists.. but one can hope, no?

sorry if my questions are too vague or not properly formatted, like I said.. im very new to all of this.

thanks for any help.

Well, high def footage is still considered a step above the average consumer and so to edit it properly some money is likely to need to change hands I'm afraid.

Premier Pro has notive high def edittign and from that s/w you can capture from your camera and edit.

However, M2T files are actually compressed and working with them can slow the old computer down some because it has more work to do to work out the mid frames on the fly - so to speak.

My high def workflow is to conver teh compressed M2T files into an uncompressed AVI and work with that. Much quicker. Have a look at the tool available over at CineForm Home Page for a good high def workflow in some decent editors.

Getting your high def onto DVD is another issue entirely. You can of course copy hgigh def files onto a DVD but they'll only be useful on a computer. Video DVD are all standard defand so once you;ve editted you will need to down-convert your footage for DVD authoring.

im not concerend with getting HD on the DVDs, its just when I hook the camera up to the PC and run any software, there are just a pile of different options for what format i want to export it to.. etc etc.. I just wanna know the best format to use for the highest possible quality but.. for local playback, and for buring to a DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    conver teh compressed M2T files into an uncompressed AVI and work with that.
    Ok, here is a question then..

in my program, when converting to AVI.. it askes me which compression to use..

.i.e Intel indeo 4.4, apple DV/DVC PRO.. etc etc... there is no option for "uncompressed" unless on of these codecs is uncompressed..

Well here is a little updated, i got premier pro 2.0, which CAN work directly with the .m2t files..

now I just have to learn it, I tried a "quickie" where I just imported a few videos and exported them to DVD, but the dvd wouldent play on the player.. so I guess i need to learn a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
    Well here is a little updated, i got premier pro 2.0, which CAN work directly with the .m2t files..

now I just have to learn it, I tried a "quickie" where I just imported a few videos and exported them to DVD, but the dvd wouldent play on the player.. so I guess i need to learn a little more.
    Yep, Premiere pro v2 works natively with M2T files. Your editting workflow will not be the quickest and you'll need a pretty good box to run it properly but it will work.

How exactly did you export to DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    How exactly did you export to DVD?

... wrong.. hehehe

I figured that part out I was doing it: File --> export to DVD

insted of going to Window---> DVD Layout and doing it from there..

so far so good, only major hangup now is that in Premier pro 2.. for some odd reason when I go to try and do a DVD menu, I get an error saying:

Unable to open file C:\adobe\adobe prem2etcetc..\Presets\styles\default.prsi