Thread: opening DVDr in Vegas

Default opening DVDr in Vegas

Hello, I am new to this forum and pretty new with video editing. I have a couple questions that I didn't find while using the search function, so my apologies in advance if I am bringing up a topic that has already been covered.

My band just completed a U.S. tour over the summer, and I received a package of several dvdr's from our tour manager who video taped all the shows. So, my plan is to make a compilation of the best songs we performed from several of the shows for a DVD release.

I am very experienced with music software, recording and editing and I chose Vegas as it works very similar to soundforge and some other music software I use. Understanding how to cut, apply effects etc pretty much came second nature to me with Vegas.

My question is, I can't seem to open the dvdr directly in Vegas, the only method I have been able to do is use MagicDVDtoAVI, and rip the DVd to my hard drive first and then open it in Vegas. - SInce this will be for a DVD release, it is important I don't lose any of the quality from the original DVDR. So could someone tell me the best way to do this, and what settings to use?

I tried ripping to Divx, but the rip looks a bit pixelated in comparison to the original. When I opened the file in Vegas, I received an error for a codec, that wasn't specific. Evrything seemed to still work fine, but the audio track didnt show peaks, or any type of wav file. so I am assuming it was an audio codec that was having problems.

Anyway, any help with this would be great. Thanks

Down load one of the many free codec packs, to be more specific down load g spot and see what codec that file is.

To open a dvd in vegas go to file>import>camcorder disc. It will then show up on the time line.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Thanks for the tip, I tried this method, and it shows a status bar for just a second and then stops rendering the video and does nothing.

I found I was able to go to "open - show all files" then go into the video folder of the DVDr and open parts from there, but it's like it is trying to read from the DVDr and extremely slow and choppy to do any editing this way... if anyone knows how to get around this, it would be great help.

If the DVD is not copyright and you have the full vegas 7 then go to File import and chose DVD