Thread: Fuzzy picture/Softness apparent

Default Fuzzy picture/Softness apparent

I use a matrox custom built LE system. A workhorse with dual quadcore AMD opterons, 4 gb ram (even though windows XP can only utilize at maximum 3gb) and over 2 TB of external storage, ATI radeon x1950 pro 512mb GPU card for reatime matrox effects.

If anyone has a similar system, you will know Matrox builds some of its own graphics for use in the video effects window under the folder "matrox".

My question is one of clarity and loss of resolution while using a Matrox 3D DVE effect. This effect is admittedly very power consuming, it shrinks your source clip to a percentage of the original size, lets you border and keyframe that small 'picture in picture' viewer around on the screen. In my case I have a digital juice animated background playing. The clips in the 'picture in picture' viewer the 3D DVE effect creates are also slowed to play at around 50%-70% of original speed. This creates very 'fuzzy' pictures. Extreme loss of resolution and softness is apparent in these clips.

Could the softness be from the DVE effect or from the slo-mo? If I increase picture in picture size, nothing is helped, and problems with loss of resolution and softness become more apparent. Source footage is shot in betasp.

Any suggestions for a fix? Below is a hyperlink to a sample of the idea im describing:
    http://http.vitalstreamcdn.com/wolterskluwer_vitalstream_com/PermaLink/NEWGRAPHIC.WMV

I guess its kinda hard to tell in that internet clip-pretty well compressed anyways. Still it's bugging me.

Be warned. The words 'Matrox' and 'Custom Build' in the same sentence are often a recipe for disaster. Assumign you means you have an RT.X100 or the new RT.X2 then you will need to be VERY careful that all compoenents in your system are on the Matrox list of supported h/w.

I have thr RT.X100 and slo-mo defaults (if I remember right) to a frame blend mode which will defo cause a loss of edge definition. Push the clip back up to 100% playback speed and see what happens.

It's a matrox certified system FROM matrox themselves, the computer is an HP x9400 workstation. I wasn't sure if matrox usually builds their own systems with their own parts or uses a factory built chassis.