Thread: anyone know how to make music sound like it's coming from inside a car ?

1. Default anyone know how to make music sound like it's coming from inside a car ?

hello, my brother and i just made a short 2 minute movie, and there is a scene where a car drives by the camera and i was just wondering if anyone knew how to add music and make it sound like it's coming from inside the car ?

anyone responses greatly appreciated !

Blog Entries

Volume up and down as car passes.
    Treble right down, so it sounds muffled.
    If it is going fast then you 'could' add doppler frequency shifting, but thats going be kind of fiddly unless you have some fancy plugin I aint heard of, but I bet is out there.

Good advice Mark. I'm going to add to it - I did a travel movie where my opening shot was my car arriving, and then scenes starting inside the car. As the car was approaching, the song used in the intro of the movie continued, but I used the Bypass effect in Premier to make it sound as though it was being recorded on the camera, and did the same effect for the scene inside the car. Basically, it reproduces the sound you get when you have music in the background while videotaping something. I'd recommend this for a pretty good effect, and then, use your increase/decreased volume as the car passes. You might even want to experiement with left and right balance, it may make the approach (louder on one side) a little more convincing. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by clunker View Post
    hello, my brother and i just made a short 2 minute movie, and there is a scene where a car drives by the camera and i was just wondering if anyone knew how to add music and make it sound like it's coming from inside the car ?

anyone responses greatly appreciated !
    For the doppler effect you need to create the change in frequency as well as volume as the vehicle passes by. The volume bit is quite easy of course, for the frequency I would say try a low pass filter (these are sometimes referred to as a high cut filter) and experiment with that. I am fairly sure you could get a reasonable result with that alone. Of course if there's a specific doppler filter somewhere that will probably do a better job.

If you can keyframe the low pass filter you effectively want to change the low pass in accordance with the speed of the car - essentially what they call "latching" in the audio world (i.e. altering a filter effect over time and having it remain at its final position). Sounds like an interesting challenge. I'd be interested in seeing....hearing...the result of your doppler effect if you can pull it off.
    Last edited by LJR; 08-22-2007 at 11:04 PM.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid