Thread: From 25 to 18fps - The 8mm look...

1. Question From 25 to 18fps - The 8mm look...

I'd like to drop my footage (recorded at 25fps) down to 18fps to achieve that slight "stuttering" effect so synonymous with 8mm film, but am unsure how to do it. Of course, there are other aspects to the look of 8mm film, such as vignetting, grain, gate weave, etc, all perfectly achievable in Vegas, but for now, I'm just looking at how to alter the frame rate.

Any ideas, guys?

MS.

I'm not sure how to do this in Vegas, I've always used After Effects for stuff like that. Do you have AE availible to use?
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    Do you have AE availible to use?
    I don't, I'm afraid...

MS.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Schmuck View Post
    I'd like to drop my footage (recorded at 25fps) down to 18fps to achieve that slight "stuttering" effect so synonymous with 8mm film, but am unsure how to do it.

. . . I'm just looking at how to alter the frame rate. Any ideas, guys?
    Have you tried the Undersampling rate adjustment to get near 18fps? Not what you want?

Have you tried the Project Deinterlace Interpolate Fields? Also try out slapping on a colour curves increased contrast and adjust for the "S" curve?

Grazie

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Have you tried the Undersampling rate adjustment to get near 18fps? Not what you want?

Have you tried the Project Deinterlace Interpolate Fields? Also try out slapping on a colour curves increased contrast and adjust for the "S" curve?

Grazie
    Nope, I haven't. But I can tell you what I've JUST tried... Changing the "Frame rate" in the Project Properties... Seems to work pretty well! Unless something bad is going to happen doing it this way?

MS.

Blog Entries

That should be ok, but some dvd authouring programs (and I am no expert) may smooth the frames when rendering to mpeg2.

I have never done this so the above is really just a hunch.

try reducing the frame rate to 12.5 that normally works, right click the clip and then properties and then change the frame rate to .5

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    try reducing the frame rate to 12.5 that normally works, right click the clip and then properties and then change the frame rate to .5
    What if the "Frame rate" drop-down box is greyed out? How do I "un-grey" it?

MS.

You are using the Full Vegas and not the cut down versions ?

The item should be the "UNDER SAMPLE RATE", just to check your clip, drop some generated media on the time line and try the under sample and see if it is there this time

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    You are using the Full Vegas and not the cut down versions ?

The item should be the "UNDER SAMPLE RATE", just to check your clip, drop some generated media on the time line and try the under sample and see if it is there this time
    Ah! I thought you meant under the "Media" tab in "Properties". Changing the "Undersample rate", although effective, doesn't yield results as good as changing the frame rate in the "Project Properties". The "Undersample rate" seems to keep things too smooth.

MS.