Thread: Novice needs help importing video

Default Novice needs help importing video

Hey all,

I would appreciate if someone could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I am trying to convert/import a video file on DVD from my DVD player in my PC, to my desk top (or folder) so I can edit and upload it to the web. The only software I have is wondows movie maker and windows media player... I know it's lousy, but all I'm trying to do is get a video of my band on the internet.

So, everytime I try to bring the file onto my desk top of course I get lots of error messages or at best, I end up with a folder full of files that I am unable to open.

Can someone guide my way for me?

Thanks,
    JT-

I don't think WMM is gonna do it for you. Are you ripping the DVD and saving the files (VOB) to
    your desktop?

Here are my 2 ways to go about it - 1) You can search for conversion utilities - VOB to AVI
    conversion (if indeed you are ripping your DVD) - from there you can import the avi file into WMM
    and convert to WMV....2) Search for a ripper/converter...rip DVD straight to an AVI file (bypass a
    few steps).

Hope this helps!

Algee

Quote Originally Posted by jtrooster View Post
    Hey all,

I would appreciate if someone could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I am trying to convert/import a video file on DVD from my DVD player in my PC, to my desk top (or folder) so I can edit and upload it to the web. The only software I have is wondows movie maker and windows media player... I know it's lousy, but all I'm trying to do is get a video of my band on the internet.

So, everytime I try to bring the file onto my desk top of course I get lots of error messages or at best, I end up with a folder full of files that I am unable to open.

Can someone guide my way for me?

Thanks,
    JT-
    Hi, JT...
    I Agree with Algee, WMM would never gonna work with your problem..
    you really need a software to do some kind of conversion..
    i suggest search for Canopus ProCoder 2.. this sofware is very usefull for any kind of conversion, including VOB to AVI, or to other target conversion such as MOV, 3gp, RM, etc

Hope this helps!

Erry

Algee & Erry,

Thanks for the info, I followed your advice, found a conversion program, downloaded it and... all is well. Really appreciate the help! Saved me any further frustration.

Thanks again!

JT-