Thread: Screen Test of Documentary Opening Sequence

Default Screen Test of Documentary Opening Sequence

Time to get serious. I would greatly appreciate all forms of feedback on this:

I am currently working on a documentary about the history of the Voice of America's transmitting station here in Kuwait. The station was first established shortly after the end of the first Gulf War while Kuwait was still cleaning up after the Iraqi invasion of August 1990. The initial rapid-deployment temporary station was built by a volunteer group of IBB engineers out in the desert north of Kuwait City. It was setup on land which was once a Kuwait Government shortwave station. That station's land was occupied by the Iraq army as a forward supply base. That base was obliterated by Coalition forces in February 1991. We are still finding unexploded munitions on the land to this very day.

I was one of the engineers that help setup the station, and the stills used in this opening sequence are the only images available of this operation. I have thought long and hard about how to open this documentary and the private link " " is to a screen test of the proposed opening segment I have just finished cutting, but without the narration track (to be added later).

That temporary station was replaced with a permanent one a couple of years later. And, today, I am managing that station.

As I said at the beginning, I would greatly appreciate feedback on this proposed opening.
    Thank you
    Last edited by worddigger; 08-11-2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Correct link error

Looks good to me, I would maybe mix up so desert moving footage with the stills just to make it more interesting. But i think once the voice over is added then it will give it more interest.
    I was actually there in the desert fighting in the first gulf war, and some of your footage and photo's bring back some memories. Can't say i seen the radio station but the american forces radio at the time was the most boring radio i have ever heard. personally i used to listen to radio bagdad, it had great music and it was funny to listen to the iraqi's trying to get to us through the propogandor.
    DUDE were's my car
    www.myspace.com/cheapdirt07

Quote Originally Posted by FNG View Post
    Looks good to me, I would maybe mix up so desert moving footage with the stills just to make it more interesting. But i think once the voice over is added then it will give it more interest.
    I was actually there in the desert fighting in the first gulf war, and some of your footage and photo's bring back some memories. Can't say i seen the radio station but the american forces radio at the time was the most boring radio i have ever heard. personally i used to listen to radio bagdad, it had great music and it was funny to listen to the iraqi's trying to get to us through the propogandor.
    Thanks for the input. I concur on AFRTS radio....BORING.....but that's the Army for you - smile!

BTW, after the initial opening sequence the documentary will then be going into a mix of stills and moving footage, as the subsequent history of the station is covered.