Thread: JVC not connecting through my Firewire

Default JVC not connecting through my Firewire

Hi

I have now installed my Firewire card and in the device manager it look ok but when I try to set the capture input to DV I get an error saying it cannot see the DV device.

The process I use is:-
    1 - power up PC
    2 - connect firewire cable to camera and switch camera to play (unlike a USB device the firewire does not seem to do anything at this stage, USB would autodetect an new device)
    3 - open pinnacle and select capture (set to DV) and the error shows up.

I think everything is connected ok but how can I check that the Firewire is correctly functioning. Should I try virtualdub?

I am using win98se should I upgrade to win 2000 to try to help?

thanks

Default got it working now.

I had to plug in the camera to the firewire, set it to play mode and then boot up the PC. Windows 98 then asks for a new driver and voila I now have DV capture.

Ewan

I have spent the last 6mths and a boat load of cash on new pc and different operating systems and private analysis by a computer shop and I never actually sorted out my camcorder connection but I eventually bought a "spare or repair" camcorder off ebay that had faults in other areas that the seller assured me would connect via firewire and playback for capture without any problems and sure enough problem solved and believe me I read forum after forum all pointing to different things but none of which sorted my problem it just makes me wonder how many of these problems are the fire port itself and is inherrent on all makes of cam.The amount of times I heard people blaming drivers and ram and software you wouldn't beleive but all I do now is leave the playback machine plugged in so theres no chance of disturbing the port and damaging anything and all this cost me was 35.00 bargain. After all what have you got to lose its better than spending money on new systems and cards and software just make sure you check with the seller that it already works %100 via firewire before you buy then it should all go well. Good luck and you all have my sympathy cos you just end up going round in circles and start doubting yourself but in my opinion I think the weak link is the firewire port.