Thread: my new parts, please read and check before I order, many thanks in advance

Default my new parts, please read and check before I order, many thanks in advance

Hi,
    I just want to run this past the people on the board before I buy these parts in.

I am upgrading my PC as it is 3 years old and it is a intel penitum 4,

it was fine when I was just editing on Pinnacle studio 9 and 10, but since installing adobe premiere elements 2.0 it has slowed down, it is use able but I have noticed if that if I'm watching an effect to see how my project is going and I stop it, I get a little delay Ie, I have to wait of the thumbnails of the video to load back up on the video timeline all the way along the screen up until where the scroll bar point is.

It all started when my comouter wouldnt switch on because of my power supply, so I decided to get a quiet power supply as it does get abit noisey. I decided to just go for it and upgrade it now, as a faster computer is always good.

Anyway I am saving money as my dv capture card it fine, my creative audgy sound card is fine, my dvd writer is fine.

My 260 Gig hardrive with operating system is fine
    my 300 Gig video editing storge drive is fine, but almost full as it is full of dv captured video from various projects I am still on with.

So this is what I am getting to go with the parts I'm keeping ( links with full details included)

New case

Gigabyte n force motherboard
    http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=GBYOA057HK&nbs_search=C%3D107 %26S%3D1018%26lang%3Den-gb%26K%3D%26202954v%3D4%26M%3DGBY%265634v%3DNVIDIA %2520nForce%2520650i%2520SLI

Quad core Q6600 processor

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=ITOA054C3&nbs_search=C%3D107% 26S%3D1042%26lang%3Den-gb%26M%3D%26OK%3D%26K%3Dquad%2Bcore%264922v%3DCore %25202%2520Quad

2 gigs of ddr 2 800 mhz Ram ( for now, going to add another two after christmas probably)

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=KTEA04VMW&nbs_search=C%3D107% 26S%3D1043%26lang%3Den-gb%26K%3D%26M%3D%264641v%3DDDR%2BII%2BSDRAM%264637 v%3D800%2520MHz

500 gig hard drive to go with my 260 and 300 gig I am keeping

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=SGGA0545X&nbs_search=C%3D112% 26S%3D1065%26lang%3Den-gb%26K%3D%26M%3D%26202950v%3D1%264905v%3D2%26SB%3D plh%26P%3D2

what do you guys thing will this do the job, along with adobe creative suite i'm getting through work, it should last me a while shouldnt it?

Look forward to hearing your views

Adam
    Adam Brown

Truth and Justice

certainly the specs you are talking about will be more than adequate but then in my opnion the spec you already have is more than adequate. For example , I edit high def (ok HDV) footage on my three year old 3GHz P4 machine with no worries.

I'm wondering if your performance issues are simply down to the fact that you video hard drive is nearly full. That will certainly degrade performance (as will not defragging it properly and regularly).

So clean up your hard drive and make some real space, make sure it is well defragged and try again. You may not need to spend any moeny at all.

Hi Alan,
    Thanks for writing back again, it always seems to be you who helps me and I thank you for that.

I doubt that it will be my 300 gig video storage drive being full because it has been doing this for a while. I have alot of projects going at the moment, and although I should be editing one project at a time, its the full quality dv files that are using up my hard drive, until my final edits are ready I cant really delete much.

Plus my C drive is ok, and thats what the software runs off, I know writing to my nearly full drive maybe slow, but for some reason I think the performance should be better than it is, as the software is running in my c drive, so all that should be slow it the rendering, which is pointing to my second hard drive.

I may not defragment my hard drive too often but at least every month of so, plus I do get the odd delay on my monitor, by this I mean I can be previewing my video with effects, titles music ba abla bla and then the monitor will go black for a matter of 3 seconds and come back on, it does this everytime I preview my footage, which as you know can be alot if I'm playing and stopping things.

Also I can burn projects to dvd using premiere elements 2.0 and nero, but when I use clone dvd when backing up my own dvd collection, it shuts down. I have a super cool fan in it so I cant work out why, this has been doing it for ages.

I just thought that since the parts were bulit by a friend who works in IT and all the parts were bought from a computer fair that it would be maybe easier to start again?

or shall I just capture videos one at a time edit them, render it out and scrap the raw captured footage? Is this how you do it.

Its hard as everytime I shoot new footage for a scene, I capture it ready fir editing, which is quite often you see as it sall for a adult members website I am setting up, so shooting new content is a must.

hope all this makes sense, if you have any questions you need to ask me before you can help me futher then ask away.

Adam
    Adam Brown

Truth and Justice

Hi Alan,
    I am now thinking of getting rid of my dvd-rom in favour of a 500 gig hardrive to take its place, I then then left with ( I checked got the other drive file sizes wrong)

120 gig c drive
    260 gig video storage drive 9 this is the one thats nearlt full)
    and then my new 500 gig har drive too.

I will also buy a 2 gig stick and see how things go, that way I am not getting a new machine and giving the chance for my pentuim 4 too get faster with more memory, since you say my machine should be able to take this.

I am planning to install adobe creative sweet cs3, will premiere cs3 read adobe photo premiere element project files so I can open up my old projects created in this new set of software.

Please answer back

Thanks

Adam
    Adam Brown

Truth and Justice

Quote Originally Posted by thedirector20 View Post
    Hi Alan,
    I am now thinking of getting rid of my dvd-rom in favour of a 500 gig hardrive to take its place, I then then left with ( I checked got the other drive file sizes wrong)

120 gig c drive
    260 gig video storage drive 9 this is the one thats nearlt full)
    and then my new 500 gig har drive too.
    Along as it;s an internal drive and not connectd through USB or firewire.

I will also buy a 2 gig stick and see how things go, that way I am not getting a new machine and giving the chance for my pentuim 4 too get faster with more memory, since you say my machine should be able to take this.
    Do you mean RAM? If so good. More ram is always better.

I am planning to install adobe creative sweet cs3, will premiere cs3 read adobe photo premiere element project files so I can open up my old projects created in this new set of software.

Please answer back

Thanks

Adam
    No idea about Elements files opening in CS3. Never even seen Elements in action let alone used it.

Hey Alan,
    Yes the drive is an internal one. What a problem my tech mate had moving things over from my old case to the new case last night.

He is going to come back tonight.

Of course he moved everything over, and then one at a time planned on starting with the C drive and once that booted up, he would add my other storage drive, with my various video projects on and then, my new 500 gig drive.

We got stuck on adding the C drive, the PC wouldnt boot up, so we started it in safe mode and we got a blue screen, searched the net based on what it said and we tracked it down to the Niva video card, it didnt like the driver that was on it .....

so we thought ok we will get an update from the main site, as soon as we took off the driver in safe mode and booted the machine up normally the computer loaded up fine.

Once the new driver was downloaded we started to install it and my computer hung up in the middle of doing this and we had to restart it, it was late my then so he's coming back tonight about 4.30pm.

The goal is, to take out the video card, and use the onboard on the motherboard as I am sure I read somewhere on here that you dont need a video card to do video editing, your footage is captured by the capture card and aslong as it captured in high quality, how your on board video displays it doesnt matter, it will be fine when it comes out.

And of course add the 260 gig storge drive with my work on and my new 500 gig drive too.

Will the onboard video be too slow, barring in mind I am using a pentium 4 and the reason I am adding two 1 gig sticks to my 2 512 sticks, because premiere 2.0 was slightly jerky when playing video in the timeline.. For a 3 year old computer its still fast with everything else, just using video editing software that is 3 years on from the software I was using when I got the machine (Pinnacle 9 and later 10), to peform better with premiere elements and later premiere cs3, thats why I am upgrading my RAM.

Therefore will on board video be ok, for the processor to handle the software I am using?Or shall I buy a new video card?

Can anyone tell me why after all this time would my computer not like the video card or the driver, and most of all not install the updated one it was asking for?

It is the same machine, just another case, its the same everything, except for a new hard drive we are adding 2 extra gigs of RAM. Or it the fact that the card has been removed and then put back in, count as the computer knowing that something has then been added again.

I would be very grateful for your views aspecially today leading up to 4.30pm when work on my PC will resume.

many thanks

Adam
    Adam Brown

Truth and Justice